Fergus MacSnow and the Road Runner


Fergus MacSnow is just a 7 month old puppy and is still working out which things he should bark at and which things he doesn't need to.
One day not long ago, we had tipped the wheel barrow upside down as rain was due and we didn't want it to fill up with rain water. This was different to Fergus and he just wasn't sure what it was. I heard him barking like crazy so went to see what was up with him. There he was running around the wheel barrow, and crouching down, fur standing on end, barking at the wheel barrow. I walked over to the wheel barrow and turned it right side up and although still a bit suspicious, he seemed o.k. with it now.
Another time he barked at a pile of weeds inside the garden. The garden is all fenced in and he just ran along the fence line barking at this huge pile of weeds wrapped up in a sheet waiting to be taken to the compost pile.
But today, there was a huge road runner in the yard. I guess Fergus thought it was just a skinny chicken, so he just stood there looking at it. Didn't bark at it, just watched it. He followed its movements without moving. My husband called me to look out the back door and watch this unfold. We were certain at any moment Fergus would go chase the bird.
Emery went to get the camera. Melanie and Casi joined me at the door to watch this wonderful bird. By the time Emery appeared with the camera of course the Road Runner had jumped up onto the fence post and then bolted away into the thicket.
Now you would think Fergus would have barked at the bird since it was a critter not belonging to our collection of critters. As I write this (just a bit after midnight) I can hear the coyotes howling at the southwest end of our land. They will soon be running south along our fence line and Fergus is already letting them know this is HIS land. Fergus has gotten some things right !
He is growing up so fast and is a delightful farm dog. The idea of getting more goats has popped back into my head again. I sure miss the milk and the cheese, just not sure I want to milk every 12 hours again.
Maybe I will opt for some sheep. Maybe some of each, goats and sheep

Comments

Popular Posts