Seeking


Somewhere along lifes pathway I lost touch with God on a personal level. I ceased feeling His presence. I know of course that it was my doing, I felt like His voice was gone. It wasn't that I stopped talking to Him, it was more that I was in a loud and crowded room and couldn't hear Him. I was reading so many things in this pursuit of truth, there was static all around me, noise, philosophies dancing in circles in my head and none of them had concrete answers. I never sought out an easier way to live or just to ignore God, rather, I was actually seeking to know who He really is, what He expects of ME....at this point in life I wasn't concerned one bit with what He expects for anyone else in life, just me. I want to get it right in this life, now, not later on my death bed. I have no desires to waste my life and finally try to make it right just before I draw my last breath. Finally, I realized that there is no proof of truth, not real proof. Sure we can feel something is right, but we can't prove it to someone, just as they cannot prove it isn't. Truth on this level is all about faith....I don't lack faith, but I wanted proof and the search for that can kick faith out the door. I am not saying it always does, but it can.
Recently I sat down feeling almost desperate for God to just hit me over the head with some sort of 2x4 truth stick so that I would know HOW He wants me to live. What does He require ? Is it all narrow and peculiar, or is it wide and expansive with just belief and faith as all that we need ? Tough questions really. I tend to wonder, if God wants us to do everything written in say the New Testament for Christians, then the walk has some definite tones that set you apart from much of the world at large today. Now, some will say....oh Christ only asks us to believe, simple as that. But I am not much of a gambler. Matter of fact I am not one at all. Say there is no God and I believe, well that's that. No big deal. But say there is a God and I don't believe, that would be a big deal. Same with the way we live our lives right now. Say you are a Christian and decide the New Testament is just an outdated, cultural thing full of things for that time and not now only to find out at the end, you got it wrong and it was meant for now too. Paul has plenty of rules, including that phrase about women being submissive. So how we believe, can be a gamble, and personally I think I am coming to the conclusion that I would rather live on the safe side and obey what is written. What do I stand to loose by doing so ? My pride and my rebellious nature perhaps and some of what we know today as fun.
God has not hit me over the head with a truth stick the size of a 2x4 telling me just how I should live. You know, that for sure, definite, no other options sort of thing. But, instead there is this presence, this ever constant arm around my shoulder. This tender touch sort of feeling that is with me always, telling me to just keep putting one foot in front of the other and when I pick up some book that offers a totally different path, it seems so foolish to me, there is now a clear understanding that there is only one God, one path even. Many different roads can take us to this path, but there is only one right road. I feel cornered sometimes, feel like kicking and scratching when I can see that God is calling me to a narrow road that doesn't fit in easily with modern society. I left that narrow path and yet somehow its always in my face, not in a bad "get in your face" sort of way, but more of a reminder of all that is good and its not one I want to see. I can excuse it for a while, thinking about the people, the faults, the errors that you can find along that narrow path. Shoot, I don't want to be like that, so its easy to turn and run, instead of seeing that people are people everywhere. We all fall short and we all need to mind our own business in that respect and just deal with our own shortcomings, take the log out of our own eye and never mind the splinter that we make huge in the other guys eye.
I have honest searching. Searching that hopes to find what it takes to get it right. I so often wish Christ would just come sit next to me for an hour and tell me HOW He wants my life to look like on the inside and the outside. To explain Paul's writings to me and tell me if they are relevant today. Everyone else that tries to explain, seems to have an agenda, a point to prove or to defend how they live.
Its coming close to Sukkot, the "feast of tabernacles" and so I watched the movie "Ushpizin" (Guests) yesterday. It's such an inspiring movie, and although its in Hebrew, you can find it easily with English subtitles, if you don't speak Hebrew !
The devotion to God shown in this movie by a penniless, childless ultra orthodox couple is nothing less than profound. You can read about this movie at http://www.ushpizin.com/
I have never seen this movie without crying. I have never left watching this movie without wondering about my own level of devotion. I want to know God like Malli and Moshe in the movie and not question, how is it we are supposed to live, not just in how we believe, but in the day to day aspects of life.
I want solid answers....I am weary from seeking them and finding only more questions, more than answers.
I know all the right little phrases that people say, just believe etc, but you know, hearing them doesn't do it for me. I need to hear the voice of God, even if its just a whisper.

photo, from the movie Ushpizin

Comments

Kathy D said…
Oh, how you've expressed the constant stream in my head. Like you, when I can't "feel" God, I know I'm the one who's turned away. Every morning there's the question, "What is my road, Lord?" And every day, there's no clear answer--no 2x4, no message in the clouds, no divine voice. There's just the assurance that God is always there even when I don't "feel" him.
Genuine Lustre said…
About 6 years ago, after constantly being beaten over the head with the Law, we found a wonderful pastor who also gave us the Gospel. It was like coming to an oasis in the desert, to know that Christ did everything and then said "it is finished." It's an objective knowing. If it depended on my feelings, well, then what about the days I wake up feeling crappy?! The problem with Law only is that you might have a mountaintop experience one day, and then still wonder if you're saved on another day.

"I believe that I cannnot by my own reason or strength, believe in Jesus Christ or come to him .. .." wrote Martin Luther.

I've been reading for a long time Patty and I know you're not into organized religion - I'm just telling what did it for me. No more wondering or striving.

Wishing you peace!
Marci said…
This is a great post Pat. I often look back to see my way. =) I can see a very clear road map of His leading in my life. Times where in that still small voice He whispered in my ear.. This is the way, walk ye in it. I too choose to live what I read in the Bible. I have more joy when I do. I have seen Him move and work in my life as I have followed His commands.

By the way, we watched that movie and loved it too.
Patty said…
Hi Mossback Meadow, its not the LAW that is in question for me, but living a life that follows the directives in the New Testament, that are meant to enrich our Christian walk.
Anonymous said…
this is an excellent film, I recommend it too.
Don't 'feel' Him, and His presence...

Been there, done that. So I go back to the basics - He said I am to believe on Him, and I've done that. So according to His Word --- I am His! (Simplified, I know.) But I start there again (and often).

So then... oh! This is one of those 'walk by faith, not by sight things' and I'm not to go by what I feel (as in 'Where ARE You, God?') but by the certainty of what He's said. I knew that - been a Christian a long time. But it's uncomfortable when I need to actually do it... again... when I'm feeling otherwise. smile

John 14:21 says my obedience to His commands (NT) shows my love for Him, and I in turn am assured of the love He has for me, AND He will disclose (reveal, manifest) Himself to me - and this is what... full circle now... replaces the not 'feeling' Him. Impossible to express the magnitude of this in my daily life and the importance my obedience takes on for these reasons.

We loved Ushpizin, too!
Patty said…
The book of Psalms is full of David crying out to God with his sorrow when he didn't feel God with him. I have felt God's pressence in my life and want it to be constant. That is what a relationship is among other things, feelings.
Joanna said…
It is true Christ did HIS PART of our salvation. What we have to be concerned about is our part. We think it is the wonderful love of Jesus who died on the cross to wash away our sins. But can we just say I believe this and now I am saved? Jesus finished his part. He is waiting to see if we will do our part. Sorry we can't go by our feelings on the matter either. Jesus taught us to take up our cross and follow Him in obedience to Him. And no it doesn't 'feel' right some times but we have to just believe He meant what He said. I'm not talking about the OT law either, that is finished and done. It is the teachings in the gospels and the rest of the NT that we must keep. Christ loves those who obey Him. He gives His spirit to those who obey Him. Let us not be deceived that we have nothing to do but believe. Jesus calls us to obedience and He is not unfaithful to require something that we cannot do.

Popular Posts