Finding Contentment

On the news today they stated that one in every twenty Americans are suffering from major depression. Middle age, working women make up the greatest percentage. Whats the deal ? How come ? I have my own theories on this, but its probably not politically correct to say that maybe if more people could be content with less in the line of material goods, that there wouldn't be so much pressure to work so hard and feel so splintered, so torn between work and family, the very thing they site as the main reason women are facing such major depression.
Sure, there are many women out there that work with real need. Single moms, etc, but I know a lot of women that work for that new car, that fancy furniture, to support their home shopping habits and for things. It becomes a vicious cycle after a while, you are stressed from working and maintaining a home, raising a family, so to deal with the stress, you shop, you eat, you collect. Now, I know I am being general here and there are a multitude of exceptions. But hearing that major depression is found in epidemic proportions in this country, kinda tells us that something is not so great about our way of life. We are not happy ! We are also lonely people. Computer friendships just don't cut it. There is nothing like a face to face connection with a friend. And we are missing out on a sense of community, knowing you have people you can count on to help you with a project, help you when you are sick, help you when there is an emergency, or just get together to celebrate. Many people just don't have "community" in their lives.
My mother had her sister, her sister in laws, her friends that she worshipped with and her craft group. She had friends that she called on the phone or that called her to come over for coffee, just to chat. She had her mother living with us, always there to give a helping hand. Many times there was just a light knock on the door, a hello and "are you busy? " A friend stopping by on her way to or from the store, just to share a bit of news or have a cup of tea. Nothing fancy, nothing planned, just the joy of friendship, sharing a worry maybe or a bit of good news. Your friends were a bit of what we call therapy. Having someone there to just listen.
Most working women are too busy to foster this kind of relationship, and women that stay home are rare and can't seem to find like minded ladies to have that kind of easiness to friendships.
Its a tough situation. I think wanting less, keeping that small house, driving that older car, having fewer gadgets, being comfortable saying no to your children when they want this or that, might just take some of the pressure off working women and we might just see lower numbers when it comes to depression and it might give more time to foster that kind of community we all seem to need.
I wrote about women grinding wheat together way back in 2006 and it seems applicable today.

Comments

Patty,
I enjoyed your thoughts on this a geat deal. I'm so blessed to live and fellowship in a community were we're all like minded. My sisters/neighbors I'm closer to than my own blood sisters. Now a days people don't know their neighbors, because they don't have time too. Also in my opinion this country is so "depressed" because we're very self-centered. If your serving the Lord, and your neighbor you don't have time to think about yourself. Therefore you dont have time to sit and think about what you don't have, want, how uncontent you are. I completely agree that less is more, and having it "all" never makes one happy. In the end they always want more.
Peace, Kris
Jo Lynn said…
How ironic your post is Patty. I just wrote about living 50 years ago. I would have loved to live in simpler times. Where the wife stays home and doesn't feel guilty about what they don't have. I feel so guilty about what the kids want and we can't afford. But they are getting better at loving what we can afford. I would love to have 50 more children (well maybe not that many) but 1 or 2 more. I just wrote about this same subject and really need to quit feeling the guilt and everything. I love staying home, I love doing the motherly things, but I miss the money. I pray for a better job for my hubby which will (maybe) make me feel better.

But I do swap goodies with my neighbors. Not all of them but a few don't seem that type.

Jo Lynn
Tina Leigh said…
Yep...I agree on all of this. Girls I work with think I am weird and I wonder what the heck is wrong with them....getting breast implants...and whats called an "around the world" where they get a tummy tuck and lift and all kinds of stuff...all of them trying to keep up with the "Jones's". All working like dogs to pay for all that mess and other material goods. Then they wonder why their marriages are falling apart and their kids are going crazy. I came in contact with a nurse this week that owns her on laser-facial-something-or-another place....I told her if I had my choice I would get out of nursing, stay at home and be a hay farmer....I guess she thought I should be in the loony -bin somewhere. Oh well.
Carrie J said…
I agree wholeheartedly Patty. Many of my friends have also started to come to these same conclusions and we are all trying to this teach way of thinking to our children so hopefully they can avoid the trap of thinking that more is better. It takes some effort to undo damage from previous decisions but it can be done and is so worth it to be able to live a simpler life.
Janette said…
I am working hard to hold my tongue about going to work and wag my tongue on staying home- to my daughter. It is difficult to do. I listen to her on the phone with my grandson and think" She should stay at home- she is good at it. If she stayed longer, she would even be better."
The worry is the rate of divorce. Almost all of the women I know who stayed home are now divorced- forced to make enough to support the family AND save for retirement.
I have no community here- it is sad. What I am going to do about it? I have no idea. At least I have encouraged my dd to develop a community where she is living.

Popular Posts