Just Thinking...

When I was outside working, the manure spreading job was completed before noon by the way, I was thinking about if I died today, what sort of things would I have to answer to God about.
Life is so full of choices, small things and big things. I have been asking Emery quite a bit lately for a new floor in our living room. Almost hounding him, reminding him of how this floor was just a quick fix and how it would be nice to have something that didn't show the dust quite as much.
The stained plywood has served us well, we didn't have money for any kind of floor covering when we built on I just came up with the idea of staining the plywood as a temporary fix until we had the money to put some sort of floor covering down. Well, that was back in 1995...so much for temporary ! We have had the funds to put something else down, but we keep changing our minds and thinking about the cost and how the floor serves us well and then today, when I was dreaming of a new floor and thinking that $1,000 is not that much, the thought came to me, at the pearly gates might God be so bold as to ask me, "Patty was the new floor more important than food for that family you know that has next to nothing and medicine for that elderly neighbor of yours that can't afford to buy it for herself ?" Ouch !
You see, loving my neighbor as myself, might just mean the new floor doesn't matter in the end compared to the greater needs of those around us. And when I am dead and gone, I sure don't want people to remember me for how my floor looked or how my house was decorated or what I cooked or how I set the table....I want it to be for something that matches my desire to serve God.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I understand! I wrestle with this too, with my wants vs. needs. But you could also think of it this way: if you chose to purchase your flooring from a family business and/or have a contractor install it, you are feeding your neighbor by your faith in his good business and by the money you pay for his goods and services. Your $1000 could keep the lights on in a local business and give you the floor you'd prefer.

I'm not saying that's the thing to do, but it's a way for both you and your community to come out ahead. We always try to look for a local business first, for this reason.
Sharri said…
Great thoughts Pat!
I also loved the photo on your blog with the apples and the checked table cloth-lovely!
Diane said…
Your floor always looks beautiful and reflects the light so. I think it is wonderful just the way it is.
tiffany said…
I dont know how high maintanance your floors are (more than typical wood floors?) but I think they are BEAUTIFUL. Also, I usually find that once I get what I "want", I didn't really need it afterall. :) Floors are floors. We walk on them. Oh I know this isnt the point of your post! My point was really just to say how much I love your floors! :)
Just me-Jerri said…
I think your floor looks wonderful. What a great idea you had 13 years ago! I think it is when we face the importance of where we are storing up our treasures that we seem to be most be in tune and under his will and directions. Keep your ears open to hearing from him and your wants, wishes and desires will seem to be met in ways that will make you happier than you had thought. For instance when our washing machine died...........the day my husband came home for R and R. We went searching for a new one. I always wanted a he front loader but dared not ask as they are SO much more than a regular washer. I was willing to go get a regular old normal one. Somehow we went into this store and found the set of both the he washer and dryer for only a bit more than a regular old washer. BOTH pieces....it was a wonderful find and God provided my want without my even asking for it!
Recently found your blog and I am loving it. I've added you to my "sites of interest".

By the way, great post today :o)
2 LMZ FARMS said…
Sometimes when the kids hollar at me to go and do something with them I take a look at the dirty dishes sitting in the sink, or the floors that need to be swept, or the clothes that need to be washed and I think do I stay or do I go.Well.....I go. When I am died and gone, I don't want my kids to remember me by how clean my house was or clothes being washed, I want them to remember me and the memories we created together. So in a way I understand where you are coming from. Hope you and yours have a blessed day.
Never Settle said…
The fact that you're conscious of the needs of others in this way is admirable. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us and being a reminder of the types of questions we should be asking ourselves and to be thankful for ALL of our blessings on a daily basis.
Do your desires to help those less fortunate and having something you want and can afford have to be mutually exclusive?
I think it is wonderful that you are in a position to do both.
The dB family said…
I was deep in discussion with my mom about this very thing just the other day.

God has blessed us with much, so how much can I give back to Him? It continually weighs on my mind...

Blessings!
Cat said…
I love the pictures of your floors and only wish I'd seen this idea before we installed laminate in March (though it's nice too, just more costly).

Anyway, I understand what you mean by the point of your post also.

Popular Posts