And its not even noon time !






Its not even noon time and I have worked what feels like a full day. Even my feet were wet with sweat in my wellies, I knew I should have put socks on, but I was in a hurry to get my work done. Sweat was on my brow and running down my back as I finished planting the last row in the garden. Carrot seeds sown, collard greens, red and green cabbage, lettuce and sweet basil all planted. My arms shaky feeling from the work of pushing the high wheel cultivator through the soil, making row after row. A couple times I almost convinced myself to just take a break and finish the seed planting part tonight after it wasn't so hot, but then I kept reminding myself to keep going, get the job done and then the evening will be free. I was raised a city kid, not one chore was mine. I never even did dishes. I did polish the silver once in a while for my mother, but that was it. It wasn't that I was lazy, I just wasn't required to do anything. It wasn't what I wanted though, from the time I was a child, my dreams were to live in the country, raise my own food, raise animals and live like the long ago stories my grandmother shared with me and what was in the Little House books. I got my wish, but in the beginning I wasn't prepared to work even when I was tired, finish the job even when it was no longer fun. Honestly, it was only after we began attending the Mennonite church did I really learn how to work. I saw from example and I found out, you get this second wind, this burst of energy when you need to. I am thankful for what I learned and how my own children learned that lesson well and to this day all three are hard workers.
It may sound strange to some, but I love this life of getting things done the old fashioned way and feeling the profound sense of satisfaction when the job is done. And once again, I am sure there is no need for me to go to the gym when there is work to be done around here.
Emery is back to work, his short vacation time has come to an end.
Proverbs 14:23 All hard work brings a profit, but mere talk leads only to poverty.
The high wheel cultivator I use
my view for most of the morning
barn cats enjoying their food
A tiny pomegranate
a sure sign its fall
the reward for hard work, a growing garden

Comments

Momzoo said…
sheeze I need to move to Texas, I can't imagine planting in September! In about two weeks we will be having our first hard frosts and by mid November we will be burried under snow!
Dana and Daisy said…
I worked hard today too. The garage is clean enough to park two cars in it. It has been two years since we've done that. Good Will made out like bandits too!
Donetta said…
I find it refreshing to read a like mind.

Popular Posts