Soup For Supper

Soup at this house is rarely made with a recipe. It starts with what is in the house. Today, carrots, onions, celery, some spike seasoning, lentils, some barley, a bit of turmeric, canned diced tomatoes with basil and a couple handfuls of Amish dumplings.
It simmered on the stove most of the day. A few slices of home made bread toasted and the meal was complete. Perfect for a fall evening when you imagine you can see your own breath as you exhale in the coolness of the night. Its not quite that cold yet, but it feels it.
Soon it will be time again for Homestead Heritage Craft Fair in Elm Mott Texas. We start looking forward to this as soon as the last one ends. The pottery on my table is all from there. Made right there by some of the young people in the community.
If you ever have the chance to attend this event, do !
You will not be disappointed.
You can visit their web site at
http://www.homesteadcraftfair.com/
which tells a bit about the community and the fair.
I usually get a new piece of pottery each year. Hope to find another one this year.

Comments

Sunny said…
There's recipes for soup???
Just kidding. I never use 'em either. Making soup myself tomorrow. Vegetable barley.
Anonymous said…
Your soup looks very inviting and cozy, especially on such a lovely table. The craft fair looks quite fun; I love festivals like that but haven't been to one in a long time. I saw that they have apple cider pressing... something I would love to see.
Cher said…
close to what I made yesterday for our supper-I throw in dried kombu for additional flavoring and added pototoes too. We eat this soup on a regular basis-though I don't have dumplings around to add :-)
Anonymous said…
Hmm..I've been carving some homemake veggie soup. Guess I better get out my soup pot.
Elizabeth
Jenny said…
Autumn, homemade soup, good bread and a safe,warm place to enjoy it. Bliss.
... Paige said…
Looks pretty good, to bad I'm full or I would ask for a bowl.
R. Aastrup said…
Ooooh! Looks so good! We had soup at school today, too. Was just the thing for a cool fall day!

Popular Posts