"My Work-Bench"



Not long ago I purchased a copy of Edna Jaques book of poems, titled " My Kitchen Window " published in 1942. The book is full of poems that speak of the joy of simple things, the joy of taking care of a home. This is one of my favorite poems in the book.

My work bench is a kitchen sink,
The table where I make my bread,
A kitchen stove...a set of shelves,
The wide, white bosom of a bed,
A woodbox filled with fragrant pine,
Wee dresses blowing on a line.

My work-bench is a window-sill,
Floors to be polished... meals to cook,
With now and then a stolen peep
Between the covers of a book--
A hurried glance, for well I know
How swift the morning hours will go.

And so my songs shall bear the print
Of bush hands that knead and stir,
The savor of an apple-pie;
Instead of frankincense and myrrh
They'll breathe of wood and bread and tea.
Of this warm sunlit room...and me.

Edna Jaques

Comments

... Paige said…
Most wonderful. Thanks for sharing it!
JacquiG said…
Nice poem! And again, very nice photos. What is that hanging to the right of your window, above the woodstove?

Jackie in ON
Marci said…
I really really like that poem. Thanks for sharing. I also loved the pictures. It has not really been cold enough for a fire here, although tonight and tomorrow night it might be. =)
Patty said…
Are you meaning my popcorn popper Jackie ? The long black thing with the mesh round thing at the bottom ?
Jenny said…
What a beautiful poem.
Patty said…
I really like Edna Jaques poems, they are mostly unknown but so good.

Popular Posts