Simple Things, Ordinary Things



Ground fog, waving over the pasture like gentle ocean waves of gray mist. It wasn't high, maybe 3 feet. The grass glistened in the morning sun in patches where the fog was thin. Each blade so heavy with dew that they fell to the side, leaning ever close to the soil.
The chill in the morning air had me pulling my gray wool shawl tighter around me. My shoes wet now as I tramped across the land. The hem of my skirt, soaking up the moisture like a candle wick . I wished I had on knee socks so the wet hem would not hit the bare skin of my legs just above my ankle socks.
There was no spectacular sun rise this morning, just an orange ball of light, rising higher and higher, turning yellow the higher it got in the sky. But still it was beautiful to watch the sky change from that indigo of early morning to pale blue all because of this ball of burning gas filling the sky as I went about my morning chores.
My tasks now complete, and an armful of dry wood to get the morning fire started. Kindling most, small twigs and tiny branches, the big wood in the house already, this tiny stuff lovingly chopped by my dear husband so the morning fire can be started quickly.
I could feel his love in this arm load of natures fuel as I walked back to the house.
Soon lively flames would be jumping in the stove and the tea kettle would be whistling in no time at all.
Sweet potato pancakes were soon bubbling on the stove, filling the house with a smell that had Emery rushing to the table. Two fried eggs next to a stack of golden brown pancakes, topped with warm maple syrup. Our hands clasped as Emery prayed over the food and for our children.Fresh ground coffee made the morning complete. Everything was slow and easy this morning, nothing rushed.
Simple things really. A walk in the early morning to do the chores, looking at the wonders around me. Food, warm and plentiful. Love, so comfortable, like being wrapped up in my old gray shawl.
Just ordinary things for me, but still not taken for granted.
Since we have one car only, I had to drive Emery to work as I have some errands to run today. A trip to the quilt shop for some last minute supplies for my quilt class this Saturday. Stop at the post office and perhaps later at home a bit of sewing on my dress for the wedding. Still not certain what style I want to make. I have some time to decide.
I will work a bit on a tiny baby sweater, yellow and soft. Each stitch said with a prayer for the baby to be, for his or her life, and to help them grow into someone who blesses all those around them.
Simple things. Ordinary things.

Comments

Marci said…
I am anxious to see all the little soft baby things you make. I am working on a baby sweater now for someone. I have the rest of one sleeve and the tie to finish.
Patty said…
I love making baby things, first because they are so cute and soft and second because they don't take as long as BIG people things.
Are you going to put a picture of the sweater on your blog or the list when its done ?
Just a note to say how much I enjoyed your simple and ordinary things. I enjoy your descriptive writing. I could really imagine and feel the wet hem of your dress hitting the backs of your legs!

Also, I covet your poetry book from your previous post! It sounds like something I would really love.
Patty said…
Mrs Pivec,
I got my copy of My Kitchen Window by Edna Jaques on ebay for just $5. Maybe one will show up on there again and you can get a copy. ITs a delight through and through

Popular Posts