Pickin' Trash


When my children were young they were embarrassed by my trash picking. We would be driving down the road and someone would have something really nice put out to the trash and I would stop and check it over to see if it was something we could use. I was never too shy to stop and check things over.
I even got a marble top table once and lawn chairs in great shape. Most times I come away with nothing but the times I have found a treasure make it worth the stopping to check things out.
Today is trash day for our street and down the road from us, a rather nice house had a lot of trash out, they are moving. I had to stop. A maple table dinning room table, two maple chairs, a nice lamp and a few boxes.
One chair was broken, one was fine, needs to be refinished or painted, the table was perfect, but I didn't need it or the lamp, but there was a box of sewing patterns and I grabbed that up for sure.
Got home to find several children's patterns, some maternity patterns, jumper patterns and in my size !
I am a happy gal today. Better than thrift store shopping since this was 100% free and better to recycle than to fill up landfills.
What a good day !

Comments

What a great curbside shopping time you had :)
Marci said…
What a find. How exciting. I love to trash pick as well.
JacquiG said…
I was wondering what happened with Melanie's job? Is she OK? The info on the side of your blog isn't coming up or I would have asked there.

Jackie in ON
Patty said…
Hi Jackie,
All is well so far, the power of prayer is so mighty ! No one at her job has said anything to her.
Patty said…
Love the phrase, "curbside shopping" Perfect !
Anonymous said…
My husband does the same thing and I tease him about his habit hee hee. Fantastic find with the chair and patterns - hooray!
sidulrike said…
Isn´t it amazing what some people throw out? One of my kids favorite backyard toys used to stand in front of other people´s dumpsters - a play kitchen that enjoyed the scrubbing and disinfecting we gave it and has been in the family for many years now :-D
And you found sewing supplies - wow, great!!
Kelli said…
I'm a curbside shopper too! It is quite popular where we live and about 1/2 hour from here in the richest part of Dallas it has been banned because it was a popular spot!
Kelli

Popular Posts