Iced Water & Hot Tea

After hanging up a couple loads of wash, it seemed the mercury was already climbing higher than I like, especially for October. Beads of sweat formed on my brow, it made me sigh. Wishing for sweater weather at least.
I came in the house, hot and sticky feeling. A nice big glass of iced water sounded delightful, but I had not had my morning tea so what to do ? Which to have first. I sat at the dinning room table with both. A contrast in beverages for sure. But it struck me, this little morning contrast at my table. Life is sometimes a bit like that, we have two things going on in our lives at the same time, that seem to contrast one another dramatically. The more I thought about this little lesson of life right before me, the more I saw that my life seems full of such contrasts right now. This is a stage of finding my comfort zone it seems. Rolls have changed. I am no longer in the same roll as mother. I have all these hours in my day for me time, its awkward and sometimes a bit uncomfortable. Sure, I love that Emery and I have more time together, but he does work 9 hour days, 6 days a week. So that leaves me lots of hours on my own. I am a busy person, no doubt about that. Not one to get bored, but still my position has changed. I have no idea how this time is for women who work outside the home full time or even part time .
But for me, I have created this ice water and hot tea environment for myself. Wanting to define myself a bit, but there are so many definitions available to pick from !
I loved my homestead life, and that is the most comfortable to me, the one most suited to my spiritual goals but its the life with the biggest reality check to the fact that life has changed with my children all grown and left home. Nothing homestead-like feels the same with them gone. But then trying to fit into some sort of faster paced life is not me by any means. Feels a bit like when I tried on some high heels not long ago. I felt and looked ridiculous !
There are aspects of me that feels like an old hippy, but then it feels silly too.
So here I sit in life, 52 years old, trying to fit into this new slot and each day feels a bit like this iced water and hot tea at the same time experience.
Part of me, honesty here folks, wants to just push all the old ways far far away, it felt so restrictive to this rebellious spirit I so tenderly nurture from time to time.
You know, walking the narrow path is not much fun at times and makes you feel like you are swimming up stream. Over and over I pray, O.K. God, could you just send one of those angels to come sit next to me, like you did in the bible times and have a chat with me about just WHAT you want and expect ? Could you tell me what's important and what isn't in the big scheme of things ? Believe me, there is no kidding or sarcasm in this, I really would like to know, once and for all, flat out, what are the details of the requirements. You hear a full range of answers from ministers and such. " Believe and you will be saved "
then another will tell you, "You must do this or that" and yes, I know all the answers possible. The, "salvation is through Christ alone" yeah I get that part, its just what are the other details ??? What is Paul talking about in all his books ? He says one thing here and another there. The Old Testament is so full of rules, 613 to be exact. Wow.
So today, there is iced water and hot tea. Two wonderful things but normally not enjoyed at the same time but right now, they suit.
I wish, and this is sincere, I wish I had been born, raised and stayed in one simple truth. But I was exposed to so many philosophies and paths, that now at this time in life with so many hours to think, its all a big ball of confusion as to what is right.
I could blame this all on hormones !

Comments

Marci said…
Pat read 1 Timothy 1:8-11. Then also read Gal. 3:23-29. I like them in the NAS best. See if that helps at all.

We have been having lots of discussion with the people we home fellowship with. Asking why we do what we do. Is it because it is a conviction or a preference? I am sure you have heard of Denny and Jacque Kenaston. Have you heard of Mike & Debbie Pearl? How about Jeff & Marge Barth? Here are 3 couples. They all love the Lord. Their children all love the Lord and serve Him. They are all 3 TOTALLY DIFFERENT from each other. I don't think God calls us to be cookie cutter Christian. We need to seek to please HIM, not man in all that we do. When we talked about the 3 couples above it was if a light came on in my head. God has a path for me and my family. I need to seek His will in what we do. We never dressed plain while going to a plain church. However, my husband and I both felt we were very modest and did not feel like God called us to totally change our wardrobe and dress in clothes that we did not really care for. Others are called to dress in the plain fashion. That is fine for them. Do what God has called you and Emery to. Don't look to people for what that is. If you have the Holy Spirit living inside of you, He will lead you into truth. I will get off my soapbox now. =)
Anonymous said…
As usual your posts inspire introspection. Thanks!
Patty said…
Hi Marci,
Thanks for the texts. I know all three couples mentioned. Having home schooled for all those years one had to know the Pearls and the Barths !
I think you are right, that God leads us all along a path He chooses for us. You are a good friend Marci.
Thanks
I am in a different season in life from yours, being at home and schooling my young daughters, yet I often have many of the same questions you write about and agree with many of your convictions. I have been pursuing a life of voluntary simplicity for about 15 years now. I say "pursuing," because I certainly never arrive. :)

I think it is the same with the Lord. As the years pass and our situations change, so does our relationship with Him and the ways that we serve Him. The only thing I believe He really wants from us is an ongoing, loving relationship.

As in a marriage or commited friendship, we grow and change, yet still remain with one another in love.

Often, I too, would like a list of the details you mention. But then, though initially it may seem easier, I think it would actually be more rigid and challenging and I'm sure God, in His wisdom, knows this.

In fact, even when He gave us the law, it was certainly corrupted by the Pharisees and their interpretations.

Sometimes I think God does cause us to stop and wonder how we can remain in His will. Perhaps we have been going along at a pretty good clip and feeling good and alright about our relationship and our service. But then I think He pulls us back from time to time, causes us to stop and wait and ponder for a while just what our next move should be. And in the meantime, He has us sit at His feet and draw nearer to Him.

I think that is a greater challenge to many of us "Marthas" that are out there wanting to "do" for our beloved Savior. But as Jesus told Martha, as Mary sat at His feet, Mary had chosen the better way.

I think some of our greatest growth in the Lord comes from those times when we appear to the world to be doing nothing, yet we are aching to serve Him and are forced to be still and just grow.

When I meet up with these times, I try to remember that God has a plan for my life. He is working out His plan for me and if I am doing my best to remain in His will - even if that causes my feet and hands to be still for a while... or involves me in a ministry that wouldn't have been my first choice... or confuses me for a time... or even breaks my heart... He knows where I am and can use everything.

God bless you in your season of transition,

Nicole
Teresa said…
Patty,
Once upon a time (really) a young woman was struggling with self-worth issues so badly that she reached out to a group of women with whom she had some relationship with on the internet.

One of them wrote back to her, a beautiful story, a princess story, much like Cinderella. It was a story to remind the young woman that she was valuable in God's kingdom and she was a princess despite having been convinced by the words and actions of others that she was far from it.

That story meant so much to the woman that she printed it off and put it in a special place in her home so that she could read it over and over again. It was one of the first steps to regaining her place in His kingdom. She was so amazingly grateful that someone took the time to reach out to her and took that time to be God's voice when all other voices competed.

Very few other attempts of comfort from others worked nearly as well as that creative story. It was the one way to reach through her pain as she was actually a creative person and loved metaphors. Remember, Jesus used metaphors too.

You were the writer and I, the woman.

You have your own way of spreading God's love to others. You wear jeans and hike and have seen some of the "not-so-pretty" things in life, like me. There are many more like me that would be so touched by your witness with all you've experienced in life. You have a special mission for Him that is not exactily like Mother Teresa, Billy Graham, or the Pearls. But it is of no lesser importance. If God made us all unique and has a job for each of us, it makes perfect sense that your service to His kingdom will be as unique as you and matched accordingly.

Hot tea or iced water will both quench a thirst: one will comfort, one will refresh, but the Water is the same. (Living!) And a "server" will furnish what is needed to the thirsty. The glass doesn't matter so much, God takes care of those details.
Patty said…
Ahhhh, Ladyfromthewoods,
I remember that story actually and am so honored to "chat" again with you in this cyber world.
If you wish, email me at pasuhi54@msn.com and let me know how life is treating you.
The Lord bless you dear friend for you kind words to me.

Popular Posts