Herbal Medicine, my favorite books

Here is a sampling of some of my favorite herbal books as some of you have emailed and asked me about.

First and foremost as a favorite is the book, "The Scientific Validation of Herbal Medicine" by Daniel B. Mowrey, PhD. one of the best herbal books on the market in my mind. Sensible and well documented with good herbal recommendations for all sorts of problems

Second, I love Maria Trebans books "Health through God's Pharmacy" and her later book, "Health from Gods Pharmacy". Both are full of the old world wisdom of treating with herbs. And I am a HUGE fan and believer in her Swedish Bitters.

I have a keen interest in Chinese medicine, its ancient with a good track record. "Healing wiht Chinese Herbs"
is a good beginner book for those looking into Chinese herbal remedies. Well written by Lesley Tierra

Since my thesis title is "Alternative Medicine for Aging America" I have a strong interest in herbals for Elder use. There isn't much written on the subject and there should be since we are entering into a time when there will be many elders and a good number will be seeking alternative treatments. Dr Weil has a good book regardning natural health for the aging group. But the book I found very helpful is " An Elders' Herbal" by David Hoffmann. Even if you are still in your prime, you probably have aging parents that are begining to show health concerns so this book is good for everyone to read.


A rather techincal book that anyone dealing with herbs should have on their shelf is the "A-Z guide to drug-herb-vitamine interactions " by health notes. Great resource that outlines clearly the interactions between herbs, vitamines and prescription medications.

An old book I have that was a wealth of information for me during my child bearing days is a little book by Susan S. Weed. "Wise Woman Herbal for the Childbearing Years" Some folks might be put off by a bit of the "new age" which in this case is very "old age" bits in the book, but there is gold in this book to be sure.

For years I have had Agatha Thrash's books. She is an Seventh Day Adventist M.D. Just love that woman. So practical and down to earth. Have heard her speak many times. All into the use of activated charcoal and hot and cold baths. Simple stuff but they work. The book I found most helpful with raising my family was her book written with Phylis Austin and her Agatha's husband Calvin Thrash M.D. "Natural Healthcare For Your Child". Super book with information on prevention, causes and treatment for children from birth through the teen years.

And finally a fun book, well its got tons of good information about many aspects of herbs. 'Mother Nature's Herbal, by Judy Griffin PhD. Who happens to live in my neck of the woods. She has everything in this book. Garden plans, aromatherapy, cooking, folklore, harvesting, and just about every aspect of herbs. Love this book. Its not draggy, or so full of techical aspects that you feel bogged down by its 372 pages.

I have shelves full of herbal books. Herbal Medicine has been a 30 year learning experience for me.
Kept my family healthy and now we are working hard to maintain health and vigor through the use of herbs as we age. Lets just say, we are very youthful in many ways....

Comments

Christine said…
I've been out of touch for a while- doing some catching up and saw this post and just had to comment! Thank you for sharing your herbal wisdom!

Congratulations on the weightloss! That's wonderful. My daughter and I did a no sugar, no yeast diet to try to get ride of Candida, and we both lost at least one to two sizes in clothing...now to keep it off! And with no sugar!! :-)

Popular Posts