Quiet Breakfast


The saying, "Feast or Famine" rings true in our house right now. We had such a feast with all our family here for the wedding and now, it is famine. All the guest rooms lay empty. Only one place at the breakfast table this morning. (Emery was off early and fixed his own breakfast and let me sleep).
The windows are open this morning. Cool nights have come and I can bear 90 degree days with no air conditioning when the nights are in the 60's. It feels like the worst of summer is over and the start of fall is not far off by comparison to what we have endured.

I am listening to Smoky Mountain Hymns this morning. Makes the house seem more homestead like. Atmosphere is after all something that sets the stage for many aspects of life. A simmer pot with pumpkin pie spice oil scents the house with that fall home cooking aroma. With the windows open I can hear the crows calling on another from tree to tree. The sound of the neighbors goat crying for some reason or another, the steady hum of the window fan seems to break any moments of true silence. No matter, its a thousand times better than the noise of the air conditioning. I love the sounds of nature.

I vowed to take one week and do NOTHING after the wedding, and that's proving to be a more difficult task than I ever imagined. So I have had to redefine "nothing". "Nothing" can not include, cooking, cleaning a bit, sewing, spinning or knitting. And of course laundry has to be done. Maybe I just don't know how to sit still for very long. "Nothing" seems to be sounding more and more like normal daily living !

To prove I am taking some time off, this afternoon, a favorite book will occupy some of my time, peppered with phone calls from all my loved ones. I may work on cutting out some aprons for the apron exchange I am on and finish up a long over due tea towel for a friend. I made one for the exchange, mailed it off to her and it has landed in some unknown destination, lost in nowheres land. Its become a "do-over" project. I had to put it aside at wedding time.
I signed up for a heirloom quilting class for one Saturday a month for 4 months and am so looking forward to beginning that. It starts in October so will have to be a bit patient.
While I was having my breakfast, it came to me how quickly life returns to normal after big events like Melanie and Casi's wedding. Life truly does march on.
I just feel so incredibly blessed...yup, blessed indeed.

new sock yarn
breakfast for one

Comments

Melanie said…
A Post of contentment. I'm so glad for you. You're take the empty nest real well. Enjoy yourself. Show us some pictures from your quilt class when you start.

Melanie
Sunny said…
A fellow smoky mountain music lover. How lovely!
Kelli said…
It sounds like you have the perfect afternoon planned!
Kelli
Anonymous said…
Ooh, that sock yarn looks pretty - reminds me of pink grapefruit :-)
The wedding looked wonderful. I bet you will have lovely memories of that special day to re-live while you fill your week with 'me time'. Enjoy! Lynda

Popular Posts