Living, just simply living



Chaleur d'été
Summer heat. That is exactly what I am feeling today. Another day of 100 or above and the 10 day extended forecast has much the same.
Instead of feeling depressed about the summer heat, I decided to make the best of it. Mornings are cooler than afternoons. So, the morning is my time to shine.
The sun making its way from the eastern sky, looking a bit lazy. The birds chirping away. Young squirrels experiencing their first summer, jumping from limb to limb, chattering the entire time. So much fun to watch their antics. Butterflies looking for brightly colored flowers. Hummingbirds enjoying nectar from the feeder nearby.
Breakfast for me was out in paradise. The light sweet scent of the Italian pine close by me, scenting the area with such a delicate sweetness, one almost leans their head in the direction of the tree to catch more of the trees sweet breath.
Choosing my mornings china pattern was simple. Blue and white. Those colors seem cool to me, crisp and remind me of sea side breezes. I miss the ocean. It is no accident that my china has clipper ships on it. Sea Captains and ship builders are part of my heritage, my personal history.
Simple breakfast, all my needs carried in one basket. Yogurt with a bit of honey, a small croissant roll, and crisp crunchy red grapes. Chilled water to drink and all the time in the world.
The kittens joined me as did their mother. In one picture you can see Ling Ling climbing over the picket fence to be near me. You will have to look carefully to see her or click the picture to make it larger.
Simple pleasures. Not feeling "oh so chic" today, so have on my sneakers, capri's and my Bummer Hummer tee shirt. Guess that means food shopping will be done at the health food store. Not the gourmet store. The way I am dressed seems to dictate how I shop for food. Its a seasonal thing with me too it seems. Remember, I am after all just an old flip flop (very big grin, complete with a rather mischievous expression) living spherically, in many directions.
In winter when the wood stove is glowing with warmth, I tend to dress Tasha Tutor style and shop for bread making ingredients and molasses to make Indian pudding. Winter foods. In spring, ahh, health is the focus and renewed commitment to hiking and seeing the world on foot have me dressing in hippy clothes, seeking world peace and whole foods. Summer, well that's a tough one. It always seems a bit unsettled for me. I have tried this fancy dressing thing, but its just not fitting well with my desire for less materialism in the world. Simple living is what I am deep down inside. I never like it to be all about the outside of a package.
Fall will be here soon enough and I will start making my way back to homespun life. Spinning wool, quilting and settling in for the cooler months when I feel more alive.


Comments

Marci said…
Pat, I LOVE the blue and white. Is your glass actually glass or is it plastic? I have been wanting to get some blue glasses to go with my good dishes. I would love the color of light blue depression glass. I have never found any though. The dark blue looks really good though. So, maybe I should rethink it.
Patty said…
Its glass Marci. My sister gave me 12 of them. I have quite a collection of coboalt blue glass serving pieces too.

Popular Posts