Impatient for Autumn



There are already signs around me pointing to the advent of a new season. Dried Echinacea's, cotton wood leaves covering the ground, the way the sun streams in the front windows in late afternoon looks a bit different somehow.
For many in the world there is a feeling of impatience for spring to come after a long winter, but here, where the heat reigns as an unkind monarch, everyone gets impatient for his term to be over and allow the kinder, gentler Autumn enter.
Melissa has had her first "frost warning" in Vermont and to be honest I am pretty jealous of her. We are still having heat advisories day after day. People have that worn out, dragged down look to them. It feels a bit like we have entered a time like so many thousands of years ago, when Greenland was farmed due to the warming of the earth at that time. I think Texas must have been as hot as it is now, way back in that time.
I have ordered my new fall shoes, Dansko Red Elle MaryJanes and some "Think" black shoes. Healthy shoes yet with a bit of style. The high heel thing will just never work for me. And for chic, the best I can think is to have a comfortable nice looking wardrobe from say Hanna Anderson. I love her clothing. Its cute but not fussy. My colors of choice for clothings seems to be black, white, red and a bit of bright pink to trade off with the red. I just adore red. Its my all time favorite color.
I have been looking dreamily at sock yarn, imagining myself knitting away. The fall colors in the store feel exciting to me. I am anxious for pumpkin pies, oranges and gold leaves to hang from trees precariously only to watch them take flight in the crisp winds. To smell wood smoke again and feel the need to grab a sweater or my beloved gray wool crocheted shawl, that is nearing the decade mark.
Summer this year feels like a long car trip, where at the end you cannot wait for it to be over.
In less than two weeks now Melanie and Casimir will be husband and wife. In thinking about the wedding being that close, I can only say that "time flies". With the heat, I can only say, " time drags on". How funny.

Comments

Pam said…
I am not so patiently awaiting Autumn myself. It has been absolutely miserable here in Oklahoma this summer...seems worse this year than any other...even worse than my years living in central Texas. Maybe we will have an early fall...we can dream, can't we?

Grace & Peace
Pam
It's already cool here in the UK. I'm wearing my dressing gown at night and my little one is getting worried about going back to school...a sure sign Autumn is coming.
Kelli said…
Oooh....a frost warning sounds so nice right now! I think I will make a cup of Constant Comment and look through my old fall magazines and dream of fall. I hope it comes quickly!

Kelli

Popular Posts