Our Words and Our Thoughts

I am at times painfully aware that my words are not always sweet. That doesn't mean that they are mean or bitter, it simply means they are not always sweet. It's something I want to work on.
Proverbs 16: 23 A wise man's heart guides his mouth, and his lips promote instruction.
24 Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones.
When I am disappointed like today, when Emery said I cannot have the new goats I want, I tend to act a bit like a spoiled child, and although I don't say anything unkind, I do not reply, in Elsie Dinsmore fashion, and then go about my day with a merry heart. I brood a bit, feel sorry for myself.
Sure it might be labeled normal and very human to act this way when we are disappointed or hurt but I think we can work to be better than that.
I read Deut 32:2 "Let my teaching fall like rain and my words descend like dew, like showers on new grass, like abundant rain on tender plants. " and saw that as a challenge to have my words be gentle, timely and nourishing.
So many people today are concerned more with how they feel, how they see things and how they need to be heard, that they miss the whole point of living a Christian life, to say unto others as we would have them say to and about us, its really the same as doing unto others.

We have become a people of speaking our mind at all cost, rather than having words that descend like dew. A challenge for me to have words that nourish the most tender hearts.


Comments

Good post! Sometimes i act the same way when I don't get what I want. And I don't much like it when I act that way! I too will strive to do better!
We are a world of get what I want, say or do whatever I have to to get it and we don't always care about how the other person feels. It should be more important how the other person feels than my own needs.
mikesgirl said…
Sorry about the goats - in my home it was foster children. But as it turned out, he was right - I really don't have the energy I used to, I'm finding out. We used to foster and now that we have purchased a 3 bedroom house for just the two of us, it seems a shame to let them sit empty when there are children out there that need homes. But after babysitting my two grandsons for two days I was exhausted, so I can see he was right. I am afraid I did pout when he refused me my chance to become a foster mom again, but when I'm tempted to indulge in pouting now when I'm disappointed, I try and remember this incident.
Jan said…
I too wanted goats again. I had a good plan. I wanted two nigerian dwarfs, less milk, easy to handle. I'm used to getting my way. But husband said , "No." I am trying to hear God and let my husband make good decisions. Yikes.
Carole said…
I know exactly what you're talking about, not just for the "I can't get what I want" thing, but more for the "when something's wrong I pour it out on other people" ; sometimes I hear myself and think I wouldn't like to be on the other side ! It takes practice and self-control... but I guess it's better to notice it and work on it than belonging to the people who refuse to acknowledge the facts (defend themselves and then point at what's wrong with you, or others... that was a good post as well - it reminded me of my sister going through a hard time with her boyfriend because of that behavior).
I like your honesty because it makes me think about my flaws as well and I feel I'm not alone in my struggles. I'm sure there are many, many more people like that out there that you help on some level.
nancyr said…
Are his reasons for not wanting goats better than your reason for wanting them?
Having animals takes a lot of energy and it is a lot of responsibility.
They also tie you down, and maybe Emery would like to be free from that responsibility.
For me, weighing both sides of an issue helps to know where the other person is coming from, and understanding brings acceptance.
I am not a person who will graciously accept a "no" without that understanding.
Patty said…
Hi Nancy, Emery is a man of reason and logic : ) He just doesn't want goats right now. The goat barn is full of firewood, the fence needs "fixin" and so on and so on the list goes. I am just impatient, a bit spoiled and then just plain want them now, sorta like Varuka on Willy Wonka.
Melanie is just a few houses down the road, so she can milk and feed when we want to head out of town.

Popular Posts