The Greatest Gift We Can Give

No shopping required, its not too late to prepare the greatest gift of all. The stores may be closed, your wallet empty and the wrapping paper all used up, but still there is time to give this one special gift.
The greatest gift we can give is the gift of love, of kind words, of a gentle spirit.
As a child I only knew what love and acceptance felt like. My days were filled with hugs and kisses, a mother that had time to play with me, a father that was not so preoccupied with work that he was a stranger, and then there were my sisters, and my grandparents that lived with us. I was surrounded by loving arms and gentle encouraging words. And I still am. It is by far the best gift I have ever received. And one each of us can give to another. If you want to understand the love of God in its fullness, you must first understand what love is.
It was not the gifts wrapped up under the tree that my family gave me at Christmas that taught me about love, but it was their gift of love each and every moment of my life that was the teacher. I could, through their example, through their consistency see that deep and profound love did exist, it was a reality. The love I was shown as a child prepared me for living life as a whole person. Secure to step out and explore life. To embrace it with enthusiasm and not full of unwarranted fear. It taught me how to love my own children, and now I see it being passed on to another generation. A gift that grows and grows when nurtured and given with no selfish intent.
That love, has been the greatest gift in my life and each one of us can give that same gift to someone in our lives. Don't despair if your own childhood was not idyllic, you know what you were missing, find that missing piece and pass on the greatest gift with all the pieces there, nothing missing. Complete and lacking nothing.

Comments

Love is a priceless glorious gift! Even the Bible talks of love being the greatest thing. I mean really look at the Bible and you will see love woven all through it! So shouldn't love be important to us too? I mean wholesome, pure love such as you talked about in your post.!
MiSScNeLLY said…
..Complete and lacking nothing.


You are a blessing!
Happy holidays!
Cathy said…
Patty,
I received my note cards from you today...they are WONDERFUL and BEAUTIFUL. I absolutely love them.

Please let me know when you have the winter ones for sale.

Merry Christmas Patty and blessings to you,
Cathy
Tracy said…
I pray that you have a wonderful Christmas with your family. May the Lord Bless each of you.
ann said…
Wise words as always Patty! Merry Christmas to you and your whole family!!
Aunt Jenny said…
What a perfect post..just lovely! I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas full of love.
Carole said…
How true ! My fondest memory of this Christmas will be our meal, all together at the table and happy to share those special moments, enjoying the quiet atmosphere and the fact that we are lucky to have one another.
It's also true that a far less than idyllic childhood doesn't prevent you from becoming a loving parent and having a loving and happy family - I am one of them, who managed to find the missing pieces and make things right for my own family. Sometimes I still feel leftovers from "the burden", but all in all the outcome is more positive than anything else, and I've come to understand Christ's message so much more clearly ! Even though it was a LONG and HARD way, I've come to thank Him for it because I know I've become a better human being.
Have a blessed Christmas with your family !
Heart 4 My Home said…
I love this post. Thank you for sharing.
Cathy said…
Hi Patty, I just stopped by to wish you a good evening. I hope you had a wonderful Christmas yesterday. God bless!

Popular Posts