Natures Lace and Some Serious Talk about Sharing







We had a good frost last night... what a delicate decoration for nature. The dying leaves are now trimmed with sparkling lace. Berries hanging from the bush, brushed with sparkling glitter. Roses held in the grip of thin ice glass, magnifying the beauty.
I wondered what could keep a person indoors on such a morning, when the entire world around is decked out in such dainty finery. The only excuse I could come up with was someones health being such that it would be dangerous for them to be outside in the cold. Work is no excuse, getting up a bit early would be worth it. Emery did. He was outside before the sun and stayed until the golden rays peeked out from the horizon to dazzle the land in sparkling delight. He was also bringing in more wood for the stove. A practical man but the beauty of nature is never lost to him, he has a keen eye for discovering creations finest clothing.
Of course I had my camera in hand, after 68 pictures I came inside, cold, with Rosy cheeks, exhilarated by the chill in the air and the beauty of the frost.
It made me think more deeply about my waking thoughts. Blogging is a golden opportunity to share what is in our hearts. I am no woman's libber, oh sure I want equal pay for jobs, and I am glad I have the vote, but I sure like having doors held open for me, but I am no mans toy. You know balance is good, anyway, back to my thoughts this morning. I would love to see women think deeper, put words to the thoughts running through their heads without the fear of thinking no one cares, they will be judged unfavorably, or that they have nothing to say. I guess I want the timid woman to be stronger !
If you have lost a mother, I am sure you wonder what she really thought about some things. You may know that she liked a tidy house, but do you know what her motivation for keeping it tidy was ? She may have quilted or embroidered like a pro, but do you know why she did ? Was it a creative outlet, a show off type thing, something she felt women of value had to know ?
Then what about the mothers who have passed on that had a really hard life, maybe abuse of some sort, what did she think about in her quite times ? How did she feel about herself ? Do you know her deepest thoughts? What lessons could she have shared with you ? You see in all cases, we can only learn from what things are shared with us, what to do and what not to do. What life lessons are you holding back from your family ? What thoughts do you have that no doubt your own children are having but think they are alone with them ? Are you estranged from your children and now feel so much time has gone on this way that there is no way to get out of it ? Write out your thoughts, let them discover who their mother, grandmother or if you have no children, let your own siblings, nieces and nephews know who you are, beyond what you can do or what you own.
Why are we so afraid of being judged for what we think ? I make no bones about not having it figured out about God, well not really about God but about religion. Am I judged for it, you bet, but that doesn't take those thoughts from me, if I never share them, matter of fact it keeps me locked in, keeps me from learning more, maybe even discovering what pieces I am missing. Or maybe even in sharing my own struggles, it gives voice to another, who has perhaps felt alone and felt shame in questioning.
I wish I knew more about my great grandmother than how tiny the stitches are in her sewing. Or that she washed my great grandfathers work clothes the minute he walked in the door, and practically had them hanging up by the time he was changed into his home clothes. That sound a bit OCD to me, so I would rather know what she dreamed about, why she had only two children. Did she have a close walk with God, or just do what she felt obligated to do ?
I wish women that blog would tell their own story too, not just show how their house looks or their latest craft. Those things are part of us, but not all of us. If your blog was bound in book form, what section of the bookstore would it be found in, is that story the story you want to be known by ? I just think that women have more to share that can touch the lives of others in such a profound way, if we would share more. Fear should not be the jail keeper of our thoughts, our wisdom, our experiences. O.K. I have said my piece for the day. Some of you will pick at one sentence and run with it, and some of you will take the whole piece as it was intended.

Comments

mikesgirl said…
Very thought provoking post, Patty. My own mother has advanced Alzheimers and I wish I could (would?) have answered some of the questions you pose before she became so ill. I did, however, ask her several times during her life why she only had one child, as being an only child has been the regret of my life. She would never answer me until the Alzheimers loosened her lips a bit. How I wish I would have asked her more about her inner thoughts and feelings. She would have never communicated them in her "normal" personality. Her answer, by the way, was "Your dad wasn't very wild about even having one.". Not really what I expected or wanted to hear!

Popular Posts