Winter Weather Arrives in Texas


Last night there was a feeling of anticipation, as if an important guest was due to arrive at our house. We were waiting for winter weather to come in from the north. People were poking out their doors and looking out their windows, watching the sky, waiting.
It was 80 degrees for the high yesterday and now 24 hours later it is 26 out with a wind chill much lower.
In the early morning hours, heavy rain fell as did the mercury. By 8 am, the roads were icy and dangerous. Since I have the experience of driving in ice and snow, and don't mind it one bit, I drove Emery and Casi to work. I decided to take Melanie with me and after dropping the men off we went out for breakfast . The roads were almost empty.
The wind was cutting, it was so cold. Ice was building on the windshield faster than the wipers could keep up with it, but we managed just fine.
After a delightful breakfast, Melanie and I bundled up and headed out to take pictures of the ice and snow.
We had such fun, but it was wonderful to walk back into the house and be greeted with the warmth of the woodstove. Soon enough, hot chocolate was made, whipped cream topping it off like a snow capped mountain.
Melanie is napping on the sofa. The wind howling all around the house. Which conjures up thoughts of the great blizzards I have experienced in the Northeast.
Vegetable soup is simmering on the woodstove, filling the house with mouth watering savory smells. Homemade bread, warm on the counter.
Its wonderful to be inside, just looking out the window is enough right now. Snow is blowing off the roof top, making it seem like a white out. Children are running down the road, school is out and they are in a hurry for home.
Winter has arrived, at least for a few days.

blogger was not very co-operative today and only let me upload a couple pictures. I will try to post more later.

Comments

Kelli said…
Your day sounds lovely and cozy. We kept going outside last night too. Actually, we played a game. Every half hour we would go out to see if we could tell a temperature change. It got cold fast!! We are supposed to be back up into the 50's tomorrow but I wish it would stay colder a little longer.
Kelli
Anonymous said…
Wasn't it nice to have a cozy day inside the house? It sounds like you and Melanie had a wonderful time together. :)
JacquiG said…
I still have such a hard time getting my head around the idea of snow and cold temperatures in Texas!!! You are so far south of us (here in Ontario) that I didn't think you ever saw snow there until I started reading your blog!

Your day sounds so wonderful and cosy. I sometimes get a warm and fuzzy feeling reading about your days! You are blessed with the life you lead and the family you share it with.

Jackie in ON

Popular Posts