See What Happens When You Have Childlike Enthusiasm



What fun it was to talk to each person "living" in their cabin. They shared the history of the original owners and a certain aspect of their daily life. The first cabin we went to see happened to be one where candle dipping took place. Since I have dipped my own beeswax candles for years, I had a keen interest and we chatted for a long time. Ends up this particular guide is from Massachusetts too, so we talked about all kinds of things. The second cabin had two looms in it and a very nice man explained the history of that place and ended up being the same age as Emery and his wife is from Kansas and they spend time each year on a relatives farm in Kansas, so Emery had lots to talk about with this man. Next stop a wonderful cabin with spinning wheels and baskets of wool. My childlike enthusiasm showed immediately. One wheel in there happened to be a gorgeous Ashford Traditional, that begged to be used. Of course I had to talk to the woman about spinning. She apologized and sadly said she did not know how to spin but wants to learn badly. Emery mentioned how I love to spin, so soon enough, I was being led behind the ropes that keep the public out and got to sit in the cabin and spin for some time. You could feel history in that log home. The fireplace over my shoulder, the braided rug under my feet, the smell of time.
What fun I had showing tourist how spinning is done and all the while making friends with the tour guide, who I invited to come to our house and learn to spin. What a fun day we had. The people, the folks sharing history with all the tourists make that place even more special. They love their jobs you can tell and they so willing share their enthusiasm for the things of old so many of us which to recapture or maintain. The good things about the olden times, morality, kindness, work ethic, neighborliness and of course the crafts of the time. Doing the kind of work that leaves your mind clear, having silence around you, so you are not distracted and pulled in so many directions. Knowing the true meaning of life being a gift.
I did go away from there wondering about the folks building that huge modern mansion that overlooks this tiny log village, I wonder if they will ever desire that old fashioned simple living. Simple in that each day give time back for thinking quietly, knowing what's really important in the big scheme of things and sleeping soundly each night.

Comments

Anonymous said…
What a great time you had. I would love to visit the log cabin village.
JacquiG said…
Wow, that's great that you got to spin and show the tourists how it's done! I wish I loved close to you, I'd love to take spinning lessons from you!

There is a pioneer village close to us and I've often thought that if I didn't have to work full time it would be an intersting place to volunteer some time.

Love the photos you posted with this message. Those are my dishes on the table! I love blue willow china and I use it every day.

Jackie in ON

Popular Posts