Wild Wind on Wednesday






The wind woke me this morning, its strong, gusting up to 50 mph. I stood by the front door in the darkness and listened as I could hear the wind rush in steady madness over the house, it seemed as if it came across the road, low and moaning like wind does through the trees and would rattle the wind chimes hanging on the front porch with a fierceness that made this usually gentle wind chime, now play what sounds like a modern symphony, full of discord. It seems almost angry or desperate.
I climbed back into bed, it was too early to get up and besides the house was cold. When the weather changes in the night, with no fire built, you discover a cold bare floor and chilly air all around you. The bed is warm and inviting. Piles of goose down pulled over you, settle you into warmth and comfort.
It wasn't long until I heard man steps walking down the hallway to the kitchen. Emery got out of bed in silence, to let me sleep. I smile just to think about that act of tenderness. Selfishly I stay tucked in, hearing my gentle-man go about his morning routine. I can tell just what he is doing from the sounds. Cheerios being poured out into a bowl, the refrigerator door opened for the milk. The sound of the silverware drawer, its sounded the same way for all the years we have lived here. In a few minutes I hear the lid of the water jug taken off and then this man of mine opens the bottles of herbs he takes. Another sound so familiar, so daily. His heavy A & W root beer mug, makes its own heavy sound when its put back down on the counter. We got this mug for Emery years ago, at the time there was some joke about it, but that's been long forgotten, even though the mug stays on the counter, between the water jug and the bottles of herbs. Its Emery's water glass. No one else uses it. Its heavy glass. Like lifting a two pound weight with every glass of water. Its never used for any other kind of liquid, just his water. It makes me smile now, just thinking about it. It is indeed the idiosyncrasies that we love about people in our lives. The fun things that happen with little rhyme or reason.
I know next Emery will head to the bathroom and shave a bit under his chin. He keeps his beard perfect, and I love that about him too. I soon here the sound of his electric razor. Just takes a minute to shave that small area. You see, to me, this man is, to quote Mary Poppins, "practically perfect in every way", even down to things like this.
Its not long now until he will be standing by the bedside just gazing at me, wondering if it will wake me to give me a kiss good-bye. I open my eyes, smile and the morning conversation begins. We chat about the wind, he holds my hand, tenderly, so much love in that one gesture.
It feels so good to be this much in love, every day. He kisses me good-bye and heads out the front door. I miss him already. Sounds rather mushy but its true.
He has been gone 20 minutes now and has called once already, to tell me Melissa is on line and maybe I would like to chat with her.
Simple morning stuff, but its the very thing that makes me think my life is close to perfect in so many ways, in the ways that really matter to me anyway.

The wind is relentless this morning. Shaking the most stubborn leaves from the trees. The birds appear to be all in hiding. I would be too if I was a winged creature so small against the force of this wind.
We have a circle of oak trees that we planted a few years back. And an Ash tree just before the oak circle. They are still young and have many more flexible branches than the older trees, this morning they look like they are doing some wonderful folk dance, holding hands in a circle, bending and swaying. It makes me smile to watch them from the back door.
I put on my sweatshirt, a big one, sleeves that cover my hands. Its comfortable and warm, and over that I threw on my old wool shawl that I love so dearly. The grayness of the sky promises a bit of a chill this morning.
Opened the back door and stepped out into pure un-harnessed wildness. Chaos, swirling in the air. At first it felt invigorating, energizing but soon that turned to something close to fear. Limbs falling off trees, pieces of wood from the scrap pile tumbling across the land like a tumbleweed. The wind pushing my body, which honestly would take some mighty force to accomplish as I am not featherweight.
I let the chickens out early and they ran out of the hen house, and run right back in. And I thought chickens were not very smart !
The wind mean with cold, and fierce in how it placed you where it wanted you. Taking away your choice in the matter altogether.
A vulture fought to go someplace, but was forced to go at the winds beck and call.
My hands soon felt numb from the cold. I took shelter in the barn that now houses our winters wood supply. Its usually a creepy place to me with small critters running and hiding through the wood. I had a mouse run up my wool stockings once and since then I have a bit of a fear it might happen again. But, today it felt safe in there and something with a long tail and two big eyes wouldn't scare me a bit compared to the wind outside of this cozy barn made of cedar and metal.
I snapped about 50 pictures and then headed inside. It was too frenzied out there for me to even stop and ponder that the warmth of this fall has caused some confusion in nature. Lilacs in bloom, paper whites popping out of the ground with fall leaves showing off their dazzling orange and reds right beside them.
The kettle is now on the stove. I want some hot cafe mocha, topped with whipped cream to chase away the chill that has settled all the way into my bones. The kindling in the woodstove is now snapping and crackling, like a bowl of Rice Crispy's. I am going to stay put in my rocking chair for a while. The wind is howling like a blizzard is going on. Makes me pull my shawl tighter around my shoulders and thankful for the shelter of my home. Icy rain is now falling from this gray sky. It makes it seem so much colder looking out the window. The cafe mocha hits the spot. Seems like a good day to have a stew bubbling all day on the woodstove. More howling wind.....it sends a shiver down my spine....winter is surly on the way.
What a morning !

Frenzied wind in the oak circle
A piece of scrap lumber impaled by wood waiting to be chopped and stacked
A vulture trying to fly
Leaves flying through the air, if you click this picture you can see the leaves better
Lilacs in November
Paperwhites fooled by the warm weather, crepe myrtle behind them, showing off fall colors.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I hate when the wind howling outside and thru the house. I too stay in bed in the morning when my hubby and sons go about their morning routines. I also listen to what they are doing.
Anonymous said…
Have you always been such an observant person? I feel as though I am missing so much just trying to keep up with the day's hectic pace ...

Popular Posts