I'm Done Being A Grouch : )

Yesterday I was a bit grouchy, but you already know that from my post on Thanksgiving. And I apologize for being a bear !
Here are my excuses.....I had a headache and that is very rare for me. I can probably count the headaches I have had in my life on my two hands. No food until noon yesterday. Did loose another 2 pounds at Weight Watchers though. Plus I was tired from working out. Bone weary from all the weeks of working out.
Now those things are no excuse really for being a grouch, but maybe they are reasons.
This morning before the sun peaked above the horizon, I woke feeling more normal. My mind in a swirl of plans for making this and that for Thanksgiving. Thinking about how good the house will smell tomorrow and how the windows will be steamed over from all the cooking. Also thinking though, how much I will miss having Melissa and James here with us. Vermont is just too far away.
A bit of self pity will sneak in here and there too that Emery is working Friday and Saturday, cheating me out of going to the Homestead Heritage Craft Fair. The first one we have missed in many years. Makes me resent his job a bit that he never feels he can take time off on Saturdays. "Might miss that big sale". His thinking not mine.
So moving beyond the self pity party, I put on my favorite French music, dressed for kitchen duty, comfy yet with a bit of pizzazz.............determined to get out of this "mood".
I think this "mood" has a lot to do with being tired and being gone from home more than I ever like. Working out nearly every day for a couple hours leaves me tired and missing working on home things like quilting, knitting and such. Makes me wonder about the kids that have to go to this and that lesson or sport. Wonder if some of them feel like me.
Decided last night when the Tylenol kicked in and my headache settled down, that I am going to go to the gym just 2 days a week and for no longer than two hours at a time. I am plenty busy at home the rest of the time.
Its been a hectic year and although I have said repeatedly that I will take a month off to do nothing, that's never happened and its not likely to happen. It is time for me to stop and smell the roses from time to time and slow down some. Rome wasn't built in a day as they say and my body can take some time to get in shape.
Off to the kitchen, making pumpkin pies, corn pudding, the stuffing for the bird....sage with bread and potatoes just as its been made in my family for generations now. No recipe, just make it till it looks right and tastes right.
Tonight I will make the apple pies and put the bird in the oven. In between, the house will be tidied up, silver polished, table dressed in its finest for the feast. Candles will glow, glasses will sparkle and as we all sit around the table, I will look at each child, see the happiness on their faces, think for a moment that next year there will be a high chair at our table with a beautiful baby capturing all our attention. Yes, much to be thankful for......
The sun now casting golden rays on the steaming ground. Yellow lace patterns all around me as the morning sun shines through the lace curtains in this room. The day feels better. I am rested. No car here to tempt me to head out the door.
Yup, its a good day and tomorrow promises to be fantastic. A side note here, no one in this house even watches football so that was just another general grouch aspect of my post yesterday.


On the menu for tomorrow

Turkey and my dinner roast
Stuffing
Mashed Potatoes
Baked sweet potatoes
Winter Squash
Green bean casserole
Corn pudding or corn fritters, depends on my time
Cranberry sause

Pumpkin Pies
Apple Pies
Apple Cider
Champagne

Photo is from Thanksgiving Last year.....

Comments

Anonymous said…
Glad you're feeling better. Getting rid of the headache will make the food taste better too.

The weather is mild here, so that will help me get into the festive-mood even more.
I'm married to a workaholic too. They'll always be that way. I've learned to go to things by myself if it's the only way I can go.

Have a good Thanksgiving.
Patty, just a thought about the gym......I know its important to get your excercise and I'm glad that you are going to cut back on going, it can become an added stressor. You strike me as someone who loves to be outside. I try to walk as often as I can, I love seeing how things change like the trees/plants/sky/people etc and also breathing in the fresh air, somtimes being rained on sometimes snow etc... you know what I mean.I think its not only good for my body but also my soul needs it. Maybe your headache was telling you to be gentler with yourself :)
I hope that you and your family have a lovely Thanksgiving you are truly blessed.
Patty said…
Hi Wendy,
I really hate being away from the house more than a couple times a week so this heading off to the gym all the time is taking me away from being a home body, but since I have a personal trainer for so many weeks, I will just have to endure being gone more than I like for just a bit longer.
I love walking outside too, hiking especially. Lets you be quiet in the mind.
Carrie J said…
Glad you are feeling better. Hope your Thanksgiving will be a good one. We won't have our kids all home this year, so I'm a little sad. Looking at your menu I think is a wonderful thing that on this one day of the year, we could sit at almost anyone's table and feel at home. I hope you have a wonderful day.
Carrie
Kelli said…
Wishing you and your family a blessed Thanksgiving!
Kelli

Popular Posts