Shopping for the Grandbaby



Rather quickly, I am realizing that grandchildren are meant to be spoiled. Its natural.
There are so many adorable things out there for wee ones, and often some fantastic bargains. Ebay is full of them.
This last week I decided it was time to hunt for the perfect pram for Grandmother to walk this new bundle of joy that is on the way. I will be watching this tiny one after its arrival when Melanie is working.
So, I need a pram. Simple really.
For my girls I had big Silver Cross prams, but I also had purchased an Emmaljunga when we were trying to have more children. I loved this pram and with having it nearby, it gave me hope that we would have more children.
When we moved to Oregon, we had no room on the moving truck for it and asked my mother in law if we could store it in her garage and we would pick it up on a visit. Hard to imagine, but when we came back for it, it was gone. Emery's brother and his wife had taken it. Never asked us, just took it. When we asked for it back, they got angry at us. It has always been a sensitive subject for Emery and I.
So when this Emmaljunga came available on e-bay, perfect condition and RED, which is my all time 100% favorite color, he said we had to have it for this first grandbaby.
I am so excited that we won the auction. This morning, much time has been spent thinking about the perfect pram pillow and blanket to make. I have been imagining little red themed quilts too.
And last week I could not pass up these darling little Italian toddler shoes. Yellow patent leather is a must I am sure.....right ? Of course I had a baby girl in mind when bidding on them, but if Melanie and Casi have a boy, there is bound to be a girl grandbaby at some point.
I have always been a firm believer in dressing babies up nicely. Its probably some left over from my own spoiled childhood.
The world is a funny place, it is true that well dressed children and adults are treated differently, better actually. Its maybe a side of society we hate to accept but it is a truth. I saw early on in raising my children that they were given extra privileges by people when they were dressed lovely and of course it didn't hurt that they were well behaved. It doesn't need to cost a fortune to have children dressed nicely and I certainly am not in favor of tiny adult clothing on children. Some of the little girl clothes on the market now, make me cringe. They look like little "hooker" clothes if I can be blunt.
My old fashioned side, loves tucks and eyelet, smocking and lace. Boys in bubble suits and girls in dresses. Beautiful shoes and Italian knit socks.
Its rare to see a child in this part of Texas dressed nicely. Stained, gray onsies and uncombed hair seem to be the norm. No one pays any attention to dirty babies except to show a bit of pity.
Soap is cheap, as are pretty baby things at thrift stores. Separating colors from whites in the wash is not hard. Combing hair is not difficult when done daily and the child understands it has to be done.
I say bring back the well dressed baby and children !

And I say three cheers for Grandmothers spoiling grandbabies : )

Hard not to love yellow patent leather toddler shoes

The new RED Emmaljunga pram, has both the carrycot, and the stroller

Comments

JacquiG said…
Beautiful shoes, and a lovely pram. And I couldn't agree more about dressing children nicely, and keeping them clean and well behaved. Mind you, it's not only children that go out sometimes looking untidy and unclean and looking like they lost their hairbrush and iron!

And yes, I believe it's in the grandparents handbook ... spoil grandchildren rotten!!! Enjoy!!

Jackie in ON
Anonymous said…
I had an emmaljunga pram for my last two childrenafter struggling with a horrid wheel wobbling monster with the first. I loved it, I still have it though my youngest is 9.

I'm so happy that you are enjoying spoiling your future grandchildren. Keep up the good work.
Patty said…
You are so right about it not being only untidy children. Emery and I went to the store last Friday and saw a woman with a very thin, dirty, cotton knit sleep shirt on with a grubby pair of pants under it. She had on flip flops and mind you this woman was braless. People were gasping when she passed them by. Jaws dropping open was generally the common reaction. She had a husband and two small boys with her. The boys were barefoot in the store !
Kelli said…
The shoes are darling and the pram..wow! It's beautiful! Grace will love it too because it's red. :0)
Kelli
Marci said…
Oh Pat, I know you are having fun. I am excited for you!!!

Popular Posts