A Long Day

Last night Melanie asked me if I could make chocolate chip orange scones for her breakfast this morning. I was so happy that she actually wanted some food, that I was up early and making them. Decided to make some peppermint chip scones too, just to give her a choice. A little bit of sugar was not going to hurt her since she has been so low.
By late afternoon the Doctors had decided that she could come home. We were so happy ! She looked healthy and asked for me to make some lasagna for supper. Which she ate.
As soon as we got her settled in, she climbed into her old bed, she was home here with me as Casi was working, she fell sound asleep in a matter of minutes and slept soundly for about 2 hours. It made everything seem alright again.
Amazing how life is so fragile and so delicate. We take so much for granted.
I had a bit of a melt-down this morning thinking about the seriousness of all this and remembering in such detail the ride to the hospital when she was seven years old and in a diabetic coma. We came so close to loosing her then. The drive to the hospital yesterday was so much like that one many years ago. Painful to think about . Even tonight my brain feels numb and part of me refuses to wrap my brain around the reality of things.
Life is so precious, all of it is.
The woman in some refugee camp, whose child is dying from starvation feels the same pain I felt this week, the same panic and fear. We forget that though.
Tonight the wind is blowing wildly outside, a cold front coming in. Trees blowing, leaves swirling and chasing each other across the land. It seems hollow and empty to me. Different than what I usually sense in the winds wild movement. Its my mood. My bone weariness. I have so much to be grateful for, but yet, worry and fear still find a small corner of my heart.
I need some sleep, long restful sleep.
Thanks everyone for the prayers and emails for Melanie. You are all like good friends.
The Doctor is hoping the morning sickness will end in a week or so. We will pray for that. I believe in miracles. We need to, to keep sane I think. To have hope in something bigger and mightier than ourselves. We sometimes grasp just how helpless we are. God, faith and hope, give us something to hold on to. That in itself is much to be thankful for.

Scones for Melanie, fresh from the oven.


A picture of the maternity ward where Melanie was staying.

It sure ia pretty and the staff at this hospital has always given 150% of themselves. So kind and compassionate every time we have been there.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I am so glad your daughter is doing better. I have some memories of my own as well when my oldest son had Rolandic Benign Epilepsy of Childhood. He only had three seizures that we knew of but the last one was a full fledged grand mall seizure. It was horrible. You feel so helpless in times like that. I couldn't imagine having to deal with something like that on a daily basis. Anyway, he grew out of that thank God.
Our children are so precious. You seem like such a good and careing mother. Your daughter must feel so happy to have you helping her out the way that you have been.
Anyway, you have a great day and take care.
Melanie said…
Another example of answered prayers. I'm so thankful your daughter and grandbaby are better.
JacquiG said…
I completely understand the meltdown after the fact. When my son was about 17 I was at a hockey game when I got paged to go to the box office, and was told that my son had been hit by a truck was was in emerg. It seems that he stepped off the curb against the light and the wing mirror of a pick-up truck ripped his nose almost completely off his face. I won't go into the details of the whole ordeal, but I held it together until we were driving home and I'd stopped at a traffic light. It suddenly hit me that if he'd stepped of that curb a split second later ....

We never stop worrying about out children (he's 28 next month). They are so precious and so much a part of us. You are so lucky that you and Melanie live so close to each other and that you can respond so quickly to her needs.

Melanie, Casi and the baby are in my prayers, and so are you Patty. Be sure to take a few minutes to look after yourself and refil your cup so that you can continue to give and help the way you are.

Even with all this you are blessed. Casi is proving himself to be a wonderful husband and son-in-law. You have such a close, loving and caring family.

Jackie in ON

Popular Posts