Thanksgiving Leftovers




To see the birds better, you may want to click on the photos.....

It seems it is a day for wildlife here on the homestead. I went out to the milk house to get some Christmas decorations that Emery had taken down from the loft for me and I heard a strange flapping over my head. Before looking up I reasoned the sound of the wings were larger than that of a crow. There not more than 6 feet above me was a huge black vulture. Then I remembered we had put out the turkey carcass last night for the creatures without even considering hungry vultures. I ducked into the barn and watched as nearly 3o vultures, both turkey and black circled above, with some landing in the near by cotton wood tree. They were eyeing me pretty good and I quickly searched my brain files trying to remember if they would go after anything near their food. I sure wouldn't want to be pecked by that nasty beak.
With Camera in hand as always, I snapped some pictures, but the vultures are a bit shy and soon flew away. Amazing creatures, ugly yes, but still amazing in wing span and in the ability to sight food from so far above.
I am just guessing what the neighbors were thinking as they saw so many vultures soaring over our land.
My leftover apple pie was sure more appealing than the leftovers we put out for the wild things.

We at present do not have a dog, nor can any stray dog get onto our land so the bones of the turkey were not a worry.


My "leftover" apple pie. I love leftovers !
Black and Turkey vultures ready to dig into the turkey carcass below them.

Comments

QuiltingFitzy said…
OH MY..I prefer the turkey carcass to the leftover pie, lol!!! It makes my best soup, I can't come close without the carcass.

We spotted a vulture in the tree in the mountains while camping here in N. CA. It truely was an amazing bird, my photos don't do justice either.
Patty said…
turkey carcass does make good soup, but i just simply don't like turkey : )
this is the first year we thew out a carcass and with the results we got, its probably the last time we will do it
Kelli said…
Patty, our family has a weird facination with vultures so we all enjoyed these pictures! :0)

Kelli

Popular Posts