On-Going Project



This is a project I sort of inherited, only I had to pay for it. At an estate sale there was a box filled with crochet items. One was this bed spread. It was partially done. Even had instructions and crochet cotton thread in there to finish it up. I bid on it and got it. The grand-daughter of the woman who had started it came up to me and gave me the history. It seems it was started as a wedding present, nearly 60 years ago. Only the woman making it didn't approve of the marriage and kept putting off finishing it. She never liked the daughter in law enough to finish it. And since I knew the daughter in law, I might tend to agree. The estate sale was just down the road from us. The woman who was making it, had won all sorts of Blue Ribbons for her crochet work. There were also several doilies in the box with this project and what a treasure they are. I feel a bit honored to be finishing the work of such an skilled craftswoman born about the turn of the 20th century. I hope to have it done by the end of the summer.
So here I am taking up the task of finishing it. This is what I have done so far. There is another large piece that has been sewn together, but it is a different shade of ecru. Maybe aged after all this time. I have lots more to do as our bed is a queen size. How I would love to knot a canopy to match for our bed. Today seems like a good day to work on this project. I love working with a tiny hook and thread. A cup of tea awaits me and Rocky Mountain hymns are playing softly in the back ground. The air is cool and refreshing.
A cold front blew through last night and the high will be 70 today, with a low of 44 tonight. Perfect weather.

Comments

Patty said…
Good to see you here Debra ! I need to email you and let you know whats new in this neck of the woods.
ForestJane said…
Wow, what a job to take on!

It'll be lovely when you get it done. :)
Ann said…
Absolutely beautiful! What a treasure you "inherited". Almost makes me want to pick up a crochet hook...I just have to many quilty projects going on to start anything new! Good Luck with this! It's going to be gorgeous(already is).
Inga said…
There isn't anything as beatiful as this kind of crochet. Good luck with finishing the lovely project.

Inga
Christine said…
What a wonderful project. And to know the history of it...that is beautiful.

Popular Posts