Amish Chocolate Pudding with Fudge Sauce

Just before putting it in the oven

All done ! In the bowl ready to eat

Amish Chocolate Fudge Pudding

1 cup sifted all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup granulated sugar
6 Tablespoons cocoa powder
1/2 cup milk
2 Tablespoons butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
1 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 cups boiling water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Sift together flour, baking powder, salt, granulated sugar, and 2 tablespoons of the cocoa.
Add the milk, butter and vanilla, mix only until smooth, do not over mix !
Stir in the nuts.
Put mixture in a well oiled baking dish, 10x6 size works great. The mixture will be thick. I double this recipe most times and put it in a 13x9 inch pan.

In a medium bowl, mix the brown sugar and the rest of the cocoa powder. Sprinkle on top of the mixture in the baking dish.
Pour boiling water over the whole thing. DO NOT MIX or stir or anything.

Bake for 40 minutes. The top will look firm.

Let set for 10 minutes. Serve warm. When spooned out, the sauce on the bottom can be spooned over the brownie like part. We always serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.

You can reheat this in a low oven.

Its quite rich !

Storms all around us. High winds, hail the size of baseballs north of us, and a tornado about 1 hour north of us.
More storms coming our way too.
We are hearing the wind blowing quite strong now. Think I will head to bed and try and sleep through it all.

Comments

uhoava gnu said…
It sounds delicious! I'll try that one day, though without nut, because I'm very allergic to them. Tomorrow I'm going to make a berry pie to celebrate the 1st of May. Red currants, blueberries, sugar, orangejuice, mmmm....:p
Inga said…
Yummy! I'll try this, I just have to convert measurements first.

Inga
Hi, Patty! Thanks for posting this.

Are there children's books, hopefully old ones, about the Amish people that you could recommend?

I'm sure since I'm veganizing it, it won't be anything like the original, but I would love to make this with my oldest and call it "school."
Melzie said…
I enjoy your blog very much :) Your kittens are adorable, we have kittens here too (just over 4 wks old). Anyways just dropping in! xoxo melzie
Finn said…
I can almost smell the rich chocolate scent as it bakes..yum!!

Be safe, we're getting the battering winds and heavy rain up here in the Midwest also.
Patty said…
Hi Kaivegan
It should taste fine veganized !
You can order wonderful mennonite/amish childrens books from Rod and Staff publishers. They have fantastic story books for children. We used their homeschool books for years, but the story books are outstanding.
You can call 606-522-4348 to get a catalog. They even have books about Sooky of the Philippines !
David and Susan at Wild Rose Cottage and David and Susan at the Little Green House are books that explain daily living for plain families. My personal favorite is Safe in His Care. I LOVE that book. Email me if you would like more recommendations pasuhi54@msn.com
Patty, Rod & Staff had a booth at our homeschool conference last week. Haha, had I asked you beforehand I would have picked something up from there:)
I also receive their catalog in the mail and have the Sooky book. My daughter appreciates that book a lot seeing the differences between our life here and the people in the Philippines.

Thank you so much for the recommendations!
Brambled Sheep said…
I had to try this and it was yummy! My boyfriend's parents came over and it is sadly almost gone. I wonder who first thought to throw boiling water on top of the cocoa-dough? Crazy but it works. I love your recipes. Thanks for sharing them.

Popular Posts