Chickens and Gardens



This morning the air is heavy, and although I would rather sit and watch Pride and Prejudice one more time while sipping tea and eating orange chocolate chip scones, I must get myself busy doing chores and spend some time weeding the flower bed that lines the driveway. I was stung by a scorpion one year while doing this flower bed. There is always the memory of that experience in the back of my mind when I am out there. It was painful sting but not the deadly kind. Since then I have stepped on one by accident while bare foot and naturally the poor thing struck back and yes, stung me good. A poultice of activated charcoal helps a great deal. Another time I was cleaning out a window box in preparation for planting spring flowers only to find a nasty ill tempered scorpion had made this particular window box his home and took revenge on me for disturbing him.
I have since learned the value of wearing gardening gloves.
The nesting boxes in the chicken house need to be changed out today. Not my favorite chore but it looks so nice afterward to see clean nests, the chickens spend a great deal of time, arranging the hay just how they want it. With bird flu looming over everyone's head we wonder how much longer we will have our little flock.
The picture of our herb garden is not a good quality shot but taken with Steven's cell phone camera so I am sharing it with you.
Lettuce is growing into fine heads and will be providing us with some good salads. Time to get outside and do some work. Orange scones and tea will come a bit later.


Comments

aikentoquilt said…
Patti,

I was cleaning my attic storage area 3 weeks ago, and got bitten by a black widow spider. I could feel your pain, and would heartily agree that you wear gloves while gardening.
Your chickens look wonderful, as does your lettuce.
Unknown said…
I hate being stung by anything with a stinger....it hurt me just reading about it...Your lettuce looks wonderful , we have never planted a cool weather crop maybe this fall will try something.Hugs Tina
ForestJane said…
Will your chickens eat scorpions? Maybe you could get Fergus McSnow to herd the chickens to the flowerbed you plan to weed... let them get all the little nasties out first. :)

Popular Posts