Breakfast Tea on a Dreary Day



Thunder rolled in a lazy fashion across the sky this morning. Slow and deliberate as if it was woken from a deep sleep. Rain fell in huge drops, more like tiny splatters. Spring in Texas is the time of bad storms and tornados. Each time the sky grows dark, you find yourself checking if there are any warnings for your area. I stayed up very late last night doing genealogy. My mothers maiden name was Heckbert, and just about everyone with that name in Canada or the US is related to me. The spelling no doubt changed when they immigrated from Switzerland. Last night I found a lot of new information and was thrilled and the hours slipped by without any notice, until the yawns nearly took over.
I managed to sleep in a bit this morning only to rub the sleep from my eyes, notice the dark stormy sky and then the Tornado siren went off. Scared me to death. All remnants of sleepiness gone in a flash. Ahh, I remembered suddenly, its the first Thursday of the month, testing time. Sure enough it only sounded for 30 seconds or there abouts. My heart safely back in my body, I did the next sensible thing. Put the kettle on for tea. Coffee would not do now, I needed my comfort drink, a cup of hot Earl Grey tea. I light the lamp and sat down for a bit of a read. "The Shuttle" by Frances Hodgson Burnett. Copyright 1907. Wonderful book, this is a second time reading it.
The day seems like a lazy one. Maybe its the rain, or maybe it was burning the midnight oil. Reading will be a good pastime today. Perhaps a bit of embroidery later this afternoon will make me feel less indulgent. The day seemed to call for my Royal Doulton Midnight Rose tea cup.
The thunder is once again, rumbling in from the west, a dreary day indeed !

Comments

Finn said…
Hi Patty, just stopping by to say "hi" and how are you??? Glad you are safe and sound, and the siren was just a test. More tornadoes, like those that hit TN, moved through Iowa last night. IT's a stormy spring for sure! Stay well.Hugs, Finn
Kelli said…
Our tornado warnings go off the first Wednesday of every month at 1:00pm and it scares me everytime! Your tea table looks beautiful and I'll bet the cup of Earl Grey hit the spot.

Kelli
Sunny said…
Hmmm. I like that tea set too. How many do you have?
Unknown said…
Tea always brings comfort and calm to my life..I love your tea set and I agree it's the only way to have tea...
Huggles Tina

Popular Posts