My call to Duty. Influenced by A legacy, Frances Heckbert

Somedays when I am feeling like there are just not enough hours in the day with all my hobbies etc, I read the obituary of my Great great grandmother. It makes me feel a bit self centered. I should be more influenced by her kindness and her ability to reach out to others. This woman raised 4 children to greatness, gave birth to 5 children with the youngest passing away as an infant.
Out of her 4 sons, two were successful Harvard educated lawyers. The other two became wealthy, well known contractors, building up large sections of towns around Boston. Frances, "Fannie" did not slack on her mothering duties. I often wonder how she did it all. It is true that she no doubt had a large household staff, but still, it amazes me what she accomplished by the time of her death at age 43. She must have been very unselfish to give so much of her time and energy. It has been said that she was one of the areas greatest philanthropists. As much as she had, she gave. Its almost seems like a call of duty to me when I read about her life. Here I sit, having fun when there is such a need in the world for a helping hand.
A copy of her Canadian obituary follows....

Summerside Journal - 16 April 1891 (page 3)"At Woburn, Mass., on Feb. 8th last, Frances C. Heckbert (nee McLeod) aged 43 years and five months, wife of John W. Heckbert. Deceased was a native of Dundas in this Province, but has resided for over twenty years in Woburn, where her noble and self-sacrificing life endeared her to hundreds of people, upon whose lives she exercised an influence that will ever be felt. She was an active member of the M.M. Church and took a great interest in Sunday School work. She was also a prominent member of the circle of the King's Daughters, the Epworth league, the Ladies Aid Society, the Missionary Society, the Ladies Auxiliary of the Y.M.C.A., the Chatague Young Folks Reading Union and the W.C.T.U., and in each organization she took such an active interest that she will long be missed by members of those bodies. With all the work in connection with these societies she was faithful to the home, to the husband and sons that mourn their great loss."

The picture is of my Great grandfather Percy St Clair Heckbert sitting at a cafe in Cuba, 1925 ish with his wife Emma. Percy was Fannies oldest son

Comments

Harmonia said…
Your blog is delightful! I hopped over from Eat Peace Please.

Harmonia
http://harmonia.blogsome.com
Reviekat said…
Thanks for sharing this.

The obituary makes me think -- "will my obituary show how I served others or myself?"

This is good to think about!
This Lady left an everlasting Legacy and thats one of my goals. I often wonder what my girls will remember about me. She was also 43...wow, I'll be 43 soon and lately I've been thinking I still have the top half of life to live!
Wendy

Popular Posts