An Intervention : )



Emery read my post in which I describe my addiction to Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Lattes. He didn't know it had gotten so bad. He began to figure up just how much this addiction might cost through the season. It was frightening to him ! Something had to be done, an intervention of sorts. Personally, I don't want help for this addiction to these Starbuck wonders, but admittedly at nearly $5 a whack, it could end up being a rather expensive relationship with coffee.
Emery knew there was no way I could give up these sweet treat, so he took me shopping yesterday and solved the problem. He got me a brand new DeLonghi Espresso machine and naturally I required a new coffee grinder to go along with it. The one I had was nearing 15 years old and it was simple a touch and go thing for grinding the coffee beans for espresso. The new grinder has settings, even one for peculator coffee, which I make on the wood stove in winter.
Now the grandest part of this new purchase is that you can get the most wonderful Pumpkin Pie Spice Syrup made by Torani. It tastes just about as good as Starbucks. With all these goodies, I can make Latte's all day long, feed this addiction of mine without spending $150 a month !
No one is perfect and I am far from it. I strive to live simply, live as green as I can, live with an awareness of the difference between need and want, but Starbucks in the fall time, blurs the difference for me. Those Pumpkin Spice Lattes become a need : ) We think buying our own equipment might just help us stay true to ourselves, but I tell you this one thing for sure. When Melissa arrives in a couple weeks, we are heading to Starbucks, despite my ability to make a pumpkin spice latte at home, and when Melanie and I are out running errands, I suspect I may just go through the drive thru window of our local Starbucks once in a while. One must maintain balance : )
Here is the recipe I am using for my pumpkin spice latte, which so far are iced, since its still warm here.

Pumpkin Spice Latte
1 oz. Torani Pumpkin Spice Syrup
1 Shot Espresso
6 oz. Steamed Milk
Combine Pumpkin Spice, espresso, and steamed milk. Pour over ice for a delightful iced Latte.
If serving it hot, top with whipped cream and dust with a bit of pumpkin pie spice. I am being good and skipping the whipped cream !

Comments

Margo in Maine said…
MMMmmmm ....I got hooked on Latte's when I went to a conference in Canada years ago...I will have to try the pumpkin one...sounds wonderful...
eggsintomatoes said…
I totally understand! I broke down and bought an Ikon Breville machine about a year ago and I LOVE IT. I make a couple of lattes a day (I am drinking one now) I really researched my machines before buying and the Breville really lived up to the reviews -- especially the foaming wand (the foamed milk is my favorite part) My folks and I used to have an espresso bar with a top-of-the line commercial Rancilio in our Scandinavian store, www.scandiastore.com -- and when we sold the store I really missed making my lattes my way! I was so glad when I got this machine.

Don't limit yourself to pumpkin pie spice! They make tons of awesome flavors, I am on a caramel raspberry kick right now -- and I prefer to use the stevia sweetened flavors -- no calories and no yucky stuff in them.

Have fun!
Lisa
www.eggsintomatoes.com
sulli said…
yummy! My favorite are almond joy lattes... some espresso, hersheys chocolate syrup and coconut flavored syrup! My husband bought me one of those machines a couple of years ago when I too couldnt stay away from the drive through window...LOL!
novascotiagal said…
I'm laughing - right now, with us, very good dark chocolate is a "need". Not very much of it, but a regular dose of it, every day.:)

Those pumpkin lattes sound yummy. Enjoy the new equipment. Some day I'll make the splurge too. - love those coffees! A bowl of cafe au lait used to be my favorite - coffee in a big soup bowl. Sooooo good. You've reminded me of those, now... oh no...
Patty said…
Hi Lisa,
I use organic agave nectar, it comes flavored these days. Not pumpkin spice yet thought : )
We are really big into agave nectar as its so low on the glycemic scale and so nice and sweet.
Dana and Daisy said…
oh you are going to be in heaven now!

You can have them every morning noon and night now!

I have learned skim milk steams easiest and makes me less guilt-ridden for giving into the addiction!

ENJOY!
Frgl Ldy said…
Miss Patti, did you know that Boca Java carries pumpkin flavored coffee. You can even get it in bean form to grind your own. We do that here. I'm another pumpkin spice latte addict. LOL!
Patty said…
haven't tried Boca Java...but will have to look for it. We have a pumpkin spice coffee bean at our local market and its pretty flavorful, but oh that syrup...that just really makes it good : )
TJ said…
As a former barista, I want to give you one key tip. No matter what flavoring you use, be sure to mix the flavoring with the coffee, then add your milk. Otherwise you may end up with chunky milk in your coffee and that is just ewwww!

Also, skim milk is the best for creating foam, but also having it nice and cold when you start with the steam wand will help.

Have fun!
TJ
Patty said…
Thanks TJ for the tip...always good to hear from one who knows : )

Popular Posts