The Changing of Seasons








The changing of the seasons is a time I always enjoy. It is that moment in time when you are saying good-bye to one and preparing to welcome another. With summer being so long and hot, I never mind its leaving. Its a bit like saying good-bye to a house guest that has stayed way too long. At first you looked forward to their arrival, then as the months drag on, you wish they would head home.
Today is a day for....
Stacking wood. Chopping kindling. Cleaning and blackening the wood stove. Taking down summer curtains that hang too close to the wood stove to be used with a fire burning.
Filling bird feeders. Picking the last of the green tomatoes. Laying down more hay in the barns and pulling out the winter clothes. Sitting down by the window, spinning wool by the hour, knowing it will turn into soft yarn that will make things like warm hats, a sweater or shawl and maybe a pair of socks or two. The sky is dark, filled with dampness that speaks of rain coming. Behind the rain, a cold front. Probably not a frost, but still chilly. The goats have such a thick undercoat this year and the squirrels such bushy tails, it seems like a very cold winter may be on the way, around the corner waiting for just the right moment to arrive. I can hear the wind picking up, the trees throwing off leaves with each gust. I saw a few butterflies heading south, stragglers I suspect, they looked strained in their flight...struggling in the cooler temperatures.
Soup sounds good for supper tonight and maybe a nice warm loaf of crusty onion bread.
Much to do before the rain arrives so off I go to get things done. You know, life is good.
A knock at the door changes everything... I get to play with Mei-Ling.

Comments

Unknown said…
I love that acorn doll!
Ruth Ann said…
Reading your posts has me wanting to sit and knit by the fire. Do you have a standeard sock pattern that you would share with us? I've knitted most of my life, but I'm new to socks.

My prayers and best wishes go out to Mei Ling and all of you!

Ruth Ann
Patty said…
Hi Ruth Ann,
Actually the socks I make are from memory and I no longer use a pattern. I learned to make socks several years ago and have made enough of these rather straight forward practical socks that the pattern has long since been passed on to the mysterious filing system I have where things seem to dissapear : )
Dana and Daisy said…
your comment about summer makes me think of a friend who said once that no matter how much you love company, after a while they get to stinking! I agree, summer is the same way. I am glad for fall, my favorite time of year.

Popular Posts