The Simple Home


Last night we had a couple Gas Well folk here for signing the gas lease. Big fancy car, young men with money to spend. One had been here before and when he came he commented on our home, he loved it. We smiled and said thank you. You could tell he meant it and that it wasn't just one of those polite comments made to flatter you.
Last night when he came in, he seemed to feel so comfortable, like he was visiting his families farm or something, almost pleased that he already knew us a bit. His co-worker was like a child in a candy store. He was tall and our ceilings are low, this is an old house, low ceilings were not uncommon...he reached up and patted the large cedar beam that runs across the room and said, "whew I like this house" He sat in my rocker and announced he loved the chair and wants one just like it for himself some day. He glanced around the room, noting what books were on the bookshelf, approving of my many German books and commenting on many others. He noted the pictures of my children hanging on the wall and said they were lucky kids to have a home like ours as home. He asked if I knitted when he saw my basket of wool and so I showed him the spinning wheel too, he was amazed. Both young men felt comfortable here, you could see it. Strangers really, young men with lots of money, the gas industry is paying very well and its really like the gold rush days around these parts. But what they liked best, was that our home was so simple and comfortable. We shared with them what we paid for it and how you can take an old house and turn it into a comfortable home for so little compared to what people THINK they have to spend. I believe we may have just opened up the world of simple living to two young men who are in a world so different. Both were in awe that I was always able to be a stay at home mom, it gave them something to think about for their own futures. One of the fellows asked to look at a photo album of our family growing up, he was so in awe of our lifestyle.
The point is, that nearly 100% of the people we have come to visit us, (not so sure about our families though) love the simplicity of our home and tell us they wish they had that same freedom from peer pressure etc to live less complicated, out of debt and so unencumbered by wants. Its like swimming against the current in some ways since our world is heading at break neck speed the opposite direction, but it sure is worth it.

Comments

LBP said…
The pictures you have shown of your home are indeed lovely. Our house is a two story farmhouse and many people who have came in have flopped down in a chair by the woodstove and said "This feels just like being at my Grandma's". We are also asked if we restored our home. The answer is no, we built it to look like it has been there for decades.

I love it when people feel at home when they visit us.
Iowa Gal said…
I don't mean to be stupid............ but what is this gas lease you signed?? Cannot wait to see your new red lamp.
Isn't it great to share the peace and simple beauty of your home and way of living with some young people. I hope you will inspire them, Patti. On the other hand, my daughter and her husband who don't have a tv in their home, and always play board games or just good conversation to entertain their friends had had lots of them say that that is so great and they would love to do it. But they still have their televisions..........
Patty said…
Hi Iowa gal, I wrote about the gas well lease in http://morningramble.blogspot.com/2007/09/new-texas-gold-rush.html
We live in an area where gas wells are going up everywhere, and we are leasing our land for drilling under it, 8,000 ft under our house that is.
Marianna said…
I would love to visit your home for much the same reason those young men found it so inviting. I suspect that it is a very warm and welcoming place! My grandmother has a gas lease on family land somewhere around Breckenridge. I wonder if she has had a windfall?
Dawn said…
I am glad you got to give those two gentlemen a piece of simplicity, even if it was only for a few minutes. :)

Do you decorate your home for Christmas? I can picture your home with homespun and rustic Christmas items :) I just got a catalog with a whole bunch of those items in there and I thought "this would look great in Patty's house!". :)
Cristan said…
I just discovered your website. It's a nice break as it sit on the 17th floor in my office watching 3 Interstates whizzing around me.

I have an idea for a ministry/business for you: a retreat of simple living! It would be so refreshing to people & open up a whole new world for children.

Popular Posts