Show and Tell Friday


This morning while I was thinking about Show & Tell Friday, hosted by Kelli over at http://kellishouse.blogspot.com/ I struggled once again with what to share. I always try to avoid the fine line where "Show and Tell" can quickly become what teachers refer to as "Bring and Brag". When I went to school we didn't do the Show and Tell thing, it was just not something we did. I wondered why since the public schools all did it and it looked like fun.
This morning I looked up the psychology of "Show and Tell" and got an idea of why we didn't do it in school. It certainly does help one develop verbal skills and accustom the child to speaking in front of others but it is thought to have started to help develop self esteem, by sharing things that make a child feel good about themselves. Where I went to school, we were taught it is better not to brag and to be humble, so you can see that my early education is still working on me. I have trouble with show and tell. Everything I think about seems like a brag. Maybe blogging in general has a touch of the brag to it. Then again, maybe we are all just trying to define our lives and share our basic reasons for how we live and what we enjoy. That seems rather noble and no doubt is the real reason so many people blog.
So what to share that isn't like a brag ? That is the big question.
Ahhhh, I thought of something to show and tell.... A lifestyle.
The show and tell part of it (which seems very brag like to me, but hard to get around it I think) is the first magazine cover and article I did about our lifestyle and how to live simply and on less than an acre of land. I laugh at the thought that being published sort of makes you an expert in some peoples minds, but isn't really so, I am no expert, just older and have found a few things that work and know for sure what doesn't work.
The cover shows Melissa holding some of the show rabbits the girls raised to make money one summer. The magazine article came out in the early summer of 1996.
Later, I am going to write a bit about our journey from the yuppie, spend more than you make lifestyle of Southern California, to the simple, no debt, low stress lifestyle we live now.










Comments

I have had a fear of my blog readers thinking I am bragging, and I don't want to come across that way at all. I hope my readers will become regular readers and will come to know my heart and won't think negative thoughts of me, AND will become my friend! That's my prayer anyway!

I have been sort of a semi-lurker on your blog for quite a while and enjoy it. I always keep up with little Mei-ling and pray for her.

We have a granddaughter named Elisabeth too! Yep, that's with an "s"!

Katherine
Kelli said…
The picture of Melissa and the bunnies is so sweet!

I hope my show and tells or blog never come across as a brag. If it does, it is unintentional. I like to think of the Friday feature as more of a "bring and share" and while I can't speak for all the participants, I hope they feel the same way!

Kelli
Patty said…
No Kelli, I know you are not the bragging kind, but I just have that concern for myself, its really a fine line for me personally and I am well aware of how some people just keep wishing they had this or that after seeing something shared.
Phase II said…
I read your blog as often as i can and i dont think that you are bragging at all. I do live in a semi yuppie world that you mention and so wish to live a simpler life. So i read your blog with a sense of longing... anyway i cant wait for your later blog about how you did it (left the hustle and bustle for simpler).
Barbara
Dawn said…
I appreciated your post.
My son and daughter-in-law have a desire to live simply...a goal they are working toward.
Your post and blog banner made me think of them. They have made the peg boards to surround the main living area of their home.
Thanks for sharing..
Sweet photo of your girl and bunny.
nannykim said…
pooooweeeee--!! I loved show and tell as a kid. I was the shy-est thing around--but I was so excited about showing the kids things I loved that the fear went out the door...It is one of my favorite memories of first and second grade (one of my few good ones!!--I was so fearful of everything at school at that time!!). I think it is a way to praise God for all His good gifts--gifts of memories, of variety, of womanhood, ...He is such an awesome creative God--When I look at all the colors of birds and fish I think--he didn't have to create anything, but then again he had to because it is His nature and he certainly has a sense of humor--I love looking at the unique things displayed--it is an awesome show of the individuality and beauty of humans and their creative gifts....WOW!!
Patty said…
NannyKim, we don't all share the same view of things and perhaps my concept of praise of Gods creation and bragging of possessions etc are a bit more strictly defined due to upbringing, lifestyle etc, than some, the subject of bragging was certainly written regarding my concerns for my own posts.
JenJen said…
You are sharing part of yourself. That's why I love blogging-I get to do that. I can share the good AND the bad, if I want, or I can share just the good. ;)

Don't think of it as bragging. Think of it as sharing something you love with others, so that they have the opportunity to get to know it and love it, too. :)

I really am enjoying your blog!
~Jen M.
Martha said…
I love your bring and share philosophy. I have tried my best to make my Fridays - reflect the blessings that God has given to me - so many I can not count.

Thanks for sharing about your simple life.

Jane
Barbara H. said…
You said, "maybe we are all just trying to define our lives and share our basic reasons for how we live and what we enjoy." I think that's the key, both to blogging and the show and tell. I don't think I have seen anyone "show off" anything in a bragging way -- it's more what special to us, often handed down or given, or an expression of personalities, styles, etc. I enjoy it.

Barbara H. @ Stray Thoughts
Barbara H. said…
I came back because I felt my comment came across wrong. I hadn't read the other comments before I answered and didn't realize you meant you were just struggling with this things within yourself. I thought maybe you thought some of the other show-and-tellers were bragging. I apologize for misunderstanding and coming across as defensive. :-)

Barbara H. @ Stray Thoughts
Jenny said…
I loved the opportunity to read all about your family as you were ten years ago. Thanks Patty.
Marcie said…
Patty, I doubt any reader leaves here with the idea that you're bragging. I can't imagine that.

I love the sharing you do here! That is why I read blogs... not to envy things I can't have, not to gloat when what I have is somehow "better"... but rather to enjoy community with like-minded, individuals. I haven't found a whole lot of true kindred spirits in real life, so the blogging community has become my one of my favorite "neighborhoods" to hang out in.
Marianna said…
I think there probably is a little of bragging involved in blogging. It's always a fine line for sure.

I look forward to hearing your transformation story.

Marianna
Mimi said…
I would love to read the entire article... it sounds so interesting... and it gives my more insight into your feelings and life
can you E-Mail it to me At

cnelson440@aol.com

if not I understand...
Patty said…
Hi Mimi,
If you click the picture of the article it will come up rather large and you should be able to read it, if it doesn't work for you let me know and I will scan the article and email it to you
Mimi said…
Thanks Patty,
I was able to read the article by clicking on the picture...
what a wonderful choice you have made in your lifestyle...
I must have taken great courage to chose to do this and I certainly admire you for it...
do you still live on this same plot of land?
Patty said…
yes, Mimi, we still live in the same place, it seemed God wanted us here so stayed put. We still at times long for more land but as we grow a bit grayer, we see the blessings of not having so much land to work
Aunt Jenny said…
Wow..I HAVE that issue of Countryside and always loved the article and hadn't put two and two together that it was YOUR family. How cool!! I will have to dig it back out and read it again. How fun. It is one of my favorite covers ever!
Joy McD said…
I really enjoyed reading that article, Patty! I love all the information on how you were living. I also wondered whether you were still living in the same place, and that question has been answered now in the comment section :)
Great show and tell, and not bragging at all :)
Love,
Joy
http://ajoyfulkeeper.com/my-blog/

Popular Posts