More on Stuff,

Things are settling down some for us. Not so many hard things going on that drain a soul. Oh sure there is the big news about gas leases and such, but that won't change our lives much, we will maybe paint the car and put a new headliner in it since the one in the car is nearly in shreds from hauling young trees from the nursery to be planted a few years back, but we won't change the way we live. Life is better staying simple. Money often changes people, making them forget about such things as the blessing of community, the understanding that all the good in our lives comes from God and not the power of the almighty dollar.
Emery and I keep reminding ourselves that less stuff means more time for us. Less stress. We seem to keep bringing more stuff home even though we don't honestly need it. Small stuff, little things that soon take space, need to be put away over and over.

Melissa and I had the same old chat over again today about having too many pieces of clothing. Stuff you don't wear much. We have our favorite things we wear over and over and all this other stuff gets taken out, tried on and you know the routine, "naw, I don't like how this fits" or "this feels uncomfortable" and sure enough you head back to an old favorite.
I am constantly reminded of how much easier it was to have 5 dresses for every day and two for church. Two pairs of shoes, both alike, one newer and for church wear, the other for every day. When the every day pair wore out, I bought a new pair for church and wore the old church shoes for every day. Using the best for church always. Just black socks, no variance at all.
A few aprons. A couple slips, some long johns for cold weather. A jacket. A sweater. So easy.
In the old days people had fewer things. Less to fold, less to hang up, less to wash. No piles sitting on the floor. Children had the same and then few toys. No rooms filled with massive amounts of brightly colored plastic things that are meant to amuse, but don't seem to created imagination. Somehow children are more bored than ever.
Woman want 5 sets of dishes, 300 yards of fabric if they sew, 5 pairs of scissors. Families want 3 cars, 2 living rooms, and huge kitchens when most folks eat out more than cook. We as a generation just keep buying...just keep feeling more stressed. We always feel like we need more, more youth, more color to our graying hair, more clothes, more shoes, more food, bigger plates, yet nothing seems to really satisfy us. Our hunger is not for things, but for peace in our hearts, the one thing you just can't buy. We just keep looking in the wrong place for the answers. A quick fix for a yearning within us.

Matthew 6:19 Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal.

Comments

Lib said…
What a GREAT POST!!!!!!! I agree 100%!!!!!!
I know so many young Parents who overwhelm their kids with "STUFF" and to me all kids really wants is Love. I think everyone enjoys things from time to time but to me "STUFF" is Overwhelming and stressful!!
I find the older I get the less "STUFF" I want to wash, dust etc. Don't get me wrong I have stuff but not so much it overwhelms me.
I often wonder what happen to usin' it up ,recycling etc. I think most wouldn't know where to start darning etc.I'm not trying to put anyone down everyone has the right to chose how they live their life but seems so many GOOD Things are becoming more and more things of the past.TO me "The Simple Life is the Best Life for me!!!!!!!
Keep up the good posting.
Blessins',
Lib
Joy McD said…
This is soooo true and I am trying so hard to get rid of stuff. A few months ago I got rid of bags full of clothes that "I might fit into again, one day..." Like you said, I have my favorites that I wear again, and again.
I still find it hard not to bring more stuff into the home as well, but I am working on it....
It's wonderful to read posts like this, because it encourages me to continue the decluttering.
Love,
Joy
Dawn said…
Yes...awesome post!
It is true...money changes people. How sad that people put so much trust in a dollar. Money and things do not happiness. It's nice to have things we like, it really is, and its also nice to donate, sell, or give away that clutter in the closet or against the wall.
Last month I took a bunch of my "one day I will fit into this" clothing and auctioned it off on eBay for a penny each! Most of the stuff was brand new, never been worn! It felt good to do that. I have a few more things I might do this week. So much freedom.
I don't have kinkknacs in my house...never really got into that stuff. But I am a huge candle and book person. And both get used very well, so it's not like it's sitting in a corner collecting dust.

I love what you said here "In the old days people had fewer things. Less to fold, less to hang up, less to wash. No piles sitting on the floor. Children had the same and then few toys. No rooms filled with massive amounts of brightly colored plastic things that are meant to amuse, but don't seem to created imagination. Somehow children are more bored than ever.
Woman want 5 sets of dishes, 300 yards of fabric if they sew, 5 pairs of scissors. Families want 3 cars, 2 living rooms, and huge kitchens when most folks eat out more than cook. We as a generation just keep buying...just keep feeling more stressed. We always feel like we need more, more youth, more color to our graying hair, more clothes, more shoes, more food, bigger plates, yet nothing seems to really satisfy us. Our hunger is not for things, but for peace in our hearts, the one thing you just can't buy. We just keep looking in the wrong place for the answers. A quick fix for a yearning within us."

Amen Sis...amen!
God Bless You!
JenJen said…
Yes. Great post! I'm in the process of trying to simplify my life, as well. I finally got rid of cable TV and now just get things via Netflix. It controls how much TV we watch, and it means we get to pick and choose what we see, rather than sitting through junk and commercials.

I have a lot of clothes, but they all get worn. I don't have any "i might fit into that someday" clothes, because when my body changes and things don't fit (both directions,) I simply get rid of things. If it's a piece I'm really attached to, it might go into my fabric stash to be remade.

We cook at home a lot. I'm having my boyfriend teach me some things and coach me in the kitchen, and he makes our bread now (one of the things I want him to teach me.)

We don't have a lot of "shiny toys," like iPods and video games and such. We have our computers, and he has his musical equipment, but the things I love most are my books and magazines. Whenever I have a quiet moment, I love to curl up with something to read. It just doesn't get any better than that!

And my sewing? I do it by hand. I have no desire to own a machine. At ALL!

I won't get on a soapbox about money, society, and what it does to people. I made a decision to keep my blog here apolitical and non-religious, and I'm sticking to that. I will only say I think most people are sadly misled as to what is important in life.

~Jen M.
Shellie said…
I couldn't have said it better myself. I've been feeling the exact same way lately. After having gotten rid of so much stuff when we moved, it seems like the house is filling up again. I've really been paying much more attention to what and how much I buy lately. More is not necessarily better.

Popular Posts