The RealAge Test

I watched Dr Oz on Oprah the other day....I like that man, he has really sound advice it seems to me. He appeals to my scientific side. After the show I looked him up on the Internet. God bless Google ! When I went to his web page http://www.realage.com/doctorcenter/intro.aspx?cbr=OPRH01 there is on the top tool bar a place that says RealAge test. I took it....there is a form to fill out asking for your email address and such and then the questions begin regarding your health. Lots of questions, but very worth the time to take.
I challenge everyone of my readers to take this test and if you want, share your results in the comment section. If I was the right weight, I would have knocked more years off my actual age. It was very eye opening. I am pretty healthy and proud of it. But I am overweight. Being fat, overweight, fluffy, pudgy, plump, chubby, whatever word you like to use, is unhealthy. Just a mere 5 inches of extra fat around the middle can take time off your life. I am no advocate of being bone skinny, but I sure appreciate good health and vigor.

My test results, I am 53.1 in actual age and 48.3 in real age according to my health profile. Emery is 61.2 in actual age and 51.1 in real age according to his profile. Big difference and you know we want to be around to see our grand-daughters, graduate college, get married, have families. We want to be able to hike long trails in our 70's. Sit cross legged on the floor until we are 90 without needing help to get up.

Study: Being fat at 40 cuts years off life
Smoking adds to drop in life expectancy
(CNN) --Two out of three Americans have an ongoing battle of the bulge, and most know all that extra weight can contribute to life-threatening ailments such as stroke, diabetes and heart disease. But just how many years will the fat take from you?
A new study shows for the first time how much life expectancy is shortened for those who are overweight or obese at 40. For smokers, the statistics are even worse.
"If you're overweight, you basically live three years less ... and if you're obese, you live approximately six to seven years less," says Dr. Robert Eckel with the American Heart Association.
Scientists have long known that overweight people have shorter life expectancies, but few large-scale studies have been able to pinpoint how many years they lose.
The study by Dutch researchers appears in Tuesday's edition of the Annals of Internal Medicine. It looks at data collected from 3,457 adults age 28 to 62 in Framingham, Massachusetts, between 1948 and 1990.
So what's the difference between overweight and obese? Doctors use body mass index -- BMI -- to measure the ratio of weight to height.
A person with a BMI of 25 or over is classified overweight, and a BMI of 30 or over means one is obese.
For example, a 40-year-old woman who is 5 feet 5 inches tall and weighs 150 pounds is considered overweight, with a BMI of 25. She can expect three years cut from her life expectancy, according to the study. If that same woman weighed 180 pounds, her BMI would be 30, she would be considered obese and would lose seven years.
Men are hit almost as hard. A 6-feet-tall man who weighs more than 184 pounds is considered overweight. If he weighed 221 pounds, he would be obese and could expect to lose six years.

Here is a Body Mass Index chart for your information.

All on the same quest to be the best we can be !

Comments

Thanks for this post Patty, I really needed to hear it right now. I am fifty and need to lose thirty pounds!!I will visit the we site and take the test.
Gullebarn said…
You know, I don't think those online BMI calculators are reliable. For instance, I am 5'8" and weigh around 140. My BMI comes up at 21.8 -- that is totally ridiculous. I had mine measured by a personal trainer using a caliper and it came out to 13 -- almost below essential. I know I weigh more than a typical size 6 person, but I also know it is because I have a lot of muscle because of the amount of working out and training I do.

My husband is 6'4" and weighs about 290. The BMI puts him at obese. He is not obese, he is very very muscular. You can't calculate that stuff accurately just based on height and weight, there are way too many other factors involved such as your ratio of muscle to fat.
Patty said…
its true that the BMI's not being for everyone, and many of us have more muscle mass which needs to be factored in but it can serve as a general guide for many
Gullebarn said…
Oh sure I agree. I just know that I got awful discouraged doing that chart and seeing my BMI and thinking "How skinny to I actually have to be to get in the athlete range where I want to be?" That's why I went to a pro and had her measure. Otherwise I can tip the edge over into dieting too much. I am a person of extremes.

Popular Posts