A Memory

Both my mother and grandmother loved colored glass. In every window in our house we had little Fenton pieces of glass in all sorts of colors. My mother liked the cranberry color and red but we had gold's and blues too. Not much in green. Somehow no one in my family has ever liked green things except in nature.
My mother decorated our house in a colonial early American style which is still my favorite style. We had these wonderful old bottles in the dining room or sometimes the kitchen. I always liked the funny shaped faces on those bottles. Since I was married I have never seen bottles like that. But today at Goodwill, there were three bottles just like my mothers. $2 each. I know I have been decluttering and such but these were just too sentimental to pass up. I washed them up, stuck them on the window sill in my dinning room and sat there looking at them. Thinking about my mother. Wish she could see my house, she would like it. She has been gone so long now but not a day passes when she is not in my thoughts.
Here are my new bottles. Catching the sun, casting colorful shadows on the table and on the floor.
A reminder of love.

Comments

R. Aastrup said…
Our family has always enjoyed bottles like that, too. In fact, my mother has a window in her living room were a similar line-up catches the sun. My sister Lauren has cello-shaped ones in her kitchen windows. Very pretty!
Sunny said…
Oooh! I am so glad you got the bottles! That's not clutter, that's treasure! Price was right too.
Jeanne said…
Hi Patty,
I have some clouds over my head this morning, and a ramble through your garden and past your bottles on the window helped lighten my heart.
Jeanne
Marci said…
Pat, there used to be a house in the town I grew up in that had 2 huge windows on a corner. They were the windows that had separate panes of glass in squares. They must have built shelves, because in every little square was some sort of colored glass bottle, vase or object. When the sun was shining on them it was beautiful. My Mom used to love to drive by there. Thanks for a memory of my Mom. I sure miss her!!
Unknown said…
Patty I love colored glass the bottles are cute I like the way the sun shines thru them...Hugs Tina
ForestJane said…
I also collect inexpensive glass - I built a shelf in one window, with no curtain, so I could have two rows of the glass with the sun shining through it.

On the top of the window, I have suncatchers and crystals, so I get rainbows flickering and filling the room too. :)

Popular Posts