Harbor Lights Of Home

Last night as the sky grew dark, the porch light on, flames flickering on the lamps inside the house, barely visible in the picture if you look close through the windows. It all seemed so good. So comfortable. That familiar feeling from childhood, when you saw home and your parents and just knew nothing could ever hurt you.
I wandered around the front of the house, checking the flower beds. Seeing blooms on the lavender, thyme creeping as it should. Echinacea just about ready to bloom as is the soapwort and canna's. The scented geraniums growing so fast with broad fragrant leaves. Walking past them and brushing up against them is much the same as spraying the room with an air freshener but better. The air becomes alive with their scent, but so natural and good. Not an almost like smell, but the real thing.

The pine trees gently sweeping the air with their brush like branches.
I found myself lingering in this time between dark and light. Looking through my own windows as if I was a nosy passerby. Spinning wheel and rocking chair in one window, quilting frame in another. Hats hung on peg boards, and shiny wooden floors catching the remaining light as it comes through the open windows. Books strewn across a couple tables.
It really does feel perfect. I know that within the walls of this little house with its strange quirks, there is endless love and laughter. Toys in the attic, waiting for the next generation, heirlooms in the cedar chest anxious to be tenderly fingered through and admired. I wonder how many families that have made this home theirs have felt the same.


You know when you have been on a long trip and finally arrive home, how that feels ? That intense gratitude for home ? That is how it all felt this night, but without ever being away. Or have I been ? Maybe too long away on this road trip of discovering what this time in life is all about.......think I will chew on that for a bit. Maybe I hit something big there in that thought.

listening to.... Gordon Lightfoot's "The Edmond Fitzgerald" ( one of my favorite songs of all time)
Drinking.....Pero with milk and sugar
Grateful for....... life and love, friends, home, my feather bed all made up with fresh clean sheets, my personal history and my family history, love of learning, love of God. And things done the old fashioned way.

Comments

Tina Leigh said…
I love your house & yellow is my favorite color. It is very inviting!
Lucy said…
What a beautiful picture and what a beautiful description from your house !
Finn said…
Hi Patty, just stopping by on my wandering path to leave a smile and a hug, Finn *VBS*
Jeanne said…
I should have known you'd be a Gordon Lightfoot fan too :)
Jeanne
Granny said…
Nice thoughts! I love your home!!

Judy L.

Popular Posts