I Have Been Struggling With This

Last week I had a conversation with a man that has his words bothering me big time. I think I may just pop if I don't write about it.
By chance I was talking to someone about a young lady we both knew. Seems this girl has gotten pregnant, and is marrying the father. She is probably 22 or 23 now.
This "devout Christian" man with whom I was speaking said. "we were invited to the wedding but we sent a letter saying, "we would not attend". He explained it this way to me, "its bad enough she is pregnant but to marry the father is just another bad choice." I assumed the guy (father to be) must be a jerk or something, but no that is not the reason, its that this mans pastor said, "its a mistake to marry someone because you are pregnant." Maybe so in some instances and maybe not in others. But to judge someone so young in this manner, knowing she has a less than wonderful home life just seems so un-Christ like. So many people have sex before they are married but because they don't get pregnant, they find it easy to pass judgment on those that do. We are not to judge anyway. That is just plain and simple.
Seems to me Christ preached about forgiving 7 times 7 times 7. And he was kind to Mary, who had less than a desirable reputation.
This poor young girl is doing the best she knows how. Wouldn't it be better to go to her wedding, open up a door to help her with all the future big decisions she will be making? Help her with this next generation rather than send her a letter saying, we cannot support you and as he said, " we have to draw the line somewhere". What line ? Who made the line ? Is he free from sin, that he can cast a stone ? I found myself almost hoping one of his sons gets a girl pregnant and then how will this man feel, well no, he may just draw such a line with his own son. So no I don't really wish that on him, but you know how we all have thoughts about people when they are unjust and judgmental.
Where is the love in this man and woman's heart for a young girl going through so much. Maybe they pray for her, but what about how she feels towards Christians as a whole now ?
I hate injustice. And I think this is so unjust. Unkind and so unloving. The worst part being that this man is so self righteous. Makes me want to be very careful on what I say about judgment, even about him. I am not trying to judge him and what he has said is just another sad turn of events. But sometimes unkindness is so blatant, it jumps out at you and its simply a fact. I won't stop talking to this man or be unkind to him and maybe I could thank him for what a lesson he has taught me that passing judgment on anyone should be for the Creator of the Universe and Him alone.
There I feel better getting this off my chest. I just hate to see people shunned for a mistake when none of us are free from sin.

Comments

Unknown said…
Patty - my old nanna always used to say "God doesn't pay his debts in money but he surely pays them" This guy's attitude stinks and I'm really glad you shared your disquiet with us - hopefully this young girl will have far more people like you to support her and her new husband in their life together with their new baby. Basically it's his loss - you always get back what you give and he's not in for much on the pleasant side if that's his attitude. I'm sure Jesus would have been a good deal more magnanimous than him. Good luck to them I say - right off my soap box now :o)
jodie said…
How sad Patty. This child may be the making of the young girl and her husband to be! So many children these days are born to single mothers and here is a couple who have accepted their responsibilities if nothing more. The guy's attitude is very disappointing and I suppose there will be others in the community that share his views, but let us hope that there are more around this couple that are positive and think like you. Thanks for sharing your concerns.

Jodie
uhoava gnu said…
I know this is too common to happen.. but still, it's very sad and makes me angry, too. It's really hard for me to understand why some people think they are so close to God that they can know His will so much better than others. And often this "will" is rather just human pride and far away from love.
Marci said…
Or as the Lord said, "Let he who is without sin, cast the first stone." Then they all dropped their rocks and left...
Patti said…
Amen! You said it perfectly!
Melanie said…
Doesn't this guy believe in second chances?!?! I make mistakes every day, I hope people don't give up on me...
You've said, and believe all the right things..
Don't ever doubt yourself on this...

Take care,
Melanie
Sunny said…
How wonderful that the young couple who clearly loved each other enough to make a baby is mature enough to do the responsible thing for their child.
Too many times the baby is left in a situation that is not a united home.
What a blessing that the horrible man won't be tainting their precious wedding with his sorry old presence. I hope he doesn't even send them a gift or a check. They can do without his evil kind of money. Too high a price tag on it. YOu can tell her I said so! Him too.
So sad... exactly who Jesus warns us about...
But also, those people are put in our path for a reason, don't you think?
Patty said…
I agree, these people are put in our path to make us better, kinder and learn from them.
Ann said…
I find it sad that such people feel the need to share thier views about things like this. The fact that the couple has decided to marry and give the baby a home together shows that there is love there. I agree that they are better off without the presence of this yahoo and his holier than thou attitude. I think we'll all be rooting for this couple to make it a long haul!

Popular Posts