What Is Your Purpose ?

Each and every day I ask myself one hard question. Otherwise the day goes by and I haven't learned anything more about myself than the day before.

I remember stepping into Psych 101 and as soon as the class was all seated the professor asked one question and went around to each person to get the answer. The question was...." Who are You?"
I had never heard so many clichés in my life. There was one " I am a Child of God", another " I am me", and on and on. He came to me and I said simply "I am Patty" and that was all the man was asking for. Our names ! I had guessed he was playing a game by his expression. I was fortunate to not be the first one asked or I may have falled prey to his game.
Because it was a psych class everyone assumed he wanted to know who they were in the universe. But he was wanting to know who each person was for his roll book. Now, granted he played it as a game and he swears it told him lots about each person from their answers and in time some of his judgments proved true as he had said they would.
Today my question for me was along those same lines only it is seeking the deep answer. I am seeking to peel back the surface answers and find out the inner meaning. "What is my purpose ?" is the question of the day.
Without knowing what your purpose is, there isn't much direction. Imagine trying to buy a map for directions yet you have no destination or idea where you are going ? Kinda crazy to say the least. Now if you are nomadic, you even have some idea of where you are headed, better grazing, better weather, that sort of thing tells you which direction to go. But here we are often wandering aimlessly and never arriving where we should be.
When people ask another, "what is your purpose in life?" we get so many trite stupid answers. Ones that you heard somewhere and said, "gutta remember that one" or you just think it sounds profound even though it may have NO connection to your personal walk in life.
Yes, you are a child of God. Yes. you are a mother or a father and , yes, you are this or that but what about your purpose ?
Dig deeper...a good mother or father ? A fantastic mother or father ? A roll model mother or father ?
A gentle and compassionate mother or father ?

You see the layers that can be peeled back to discover more once you start asking yourself things. So, you are a child of God, is that just a fact or an action ? You could be a child of God and never even talk to Him.
What about your interaction with others ? Do you relieve the suffering of anyone ?
In asking myself this question, I discovered there is much for me to still do in this life. To reach out a bit more, to extend myself more. To see that purpose is not stagnant, it is ever expanding, growing, changing and reaching.
Whats the hard question you wish to ask yourself today ?

Here is a little quote I say each day to myself...
For as long as space endures,

And for as long as living beings remain,
Until then may I, too, abide
To dispel the misery of the world.


Comments

Granny said…
WOW! Another thought provoking entry. Thanks!

Judy L.
Pam said…
Patty, what kind of flower is in today's post? My grandmother used to have them in her yard and I would love to have them, but I don't know what they are called so that I can ask for them at the nursery! Love all of your "ramblings", keep up the good work!

Grace & Peace
Pam
Patty said…
Hi Pam, I believe they are called Lantana. I will double check tomorrow as I think a new one planted has a tag still
uhoava gnu said…
wise men don't answer, they ask ;) (well, i know, this is another cliché..)
Hi Patty-hope you are ok. I am sending you pryaers and hugs in Texas.
Martha

Popular Posts