Dreaming Kind of Day


Perhaps the glass bottles have inspired me more deeply than I had realized. I woke this morning with an eye on everything in my house. Almost wondering if I would like to get a job so I could afford this and that to make the house more of what I would like. Dark rich woods, primitive. Old pieces of crockery and pewter placed here and there. Hand-woven coverlets placed on the beds, really old ones that have the scent of the past forever in their threads, full of old stories held in silence in their patterns.
Endless supplies of hand dipped bayberry candles. The thought of going to work lasts but a brief moment.
With some reasoning in my own mind I figure it is possible to save for the things I would really like to own. I woke with dreams of having my home look the like houses in my cherished old copies of Country Living.

Maybe its that I like that feeling of being connected with my own history. My fathers family arrived in the United States in 1634. My husbands family came on the Winthrop fleet in 1630 . Our families have married more than once through the centuries. On my mothers side, they came on the Mayflower. I am the 10th great granddaughter of Francis Cooke. So our history in this country is a long one and it fills me with a love for Early American things. I once thought that most of my mothers family were German but found that was only on my paternal grandfathers side. Digging your family history is very enlightening ! I wonder what life was like in the 1600's for each of my family members I know by name. You can find things you never imagined.
At breakfast I leafed through my magazines, dreaming like a little girl about what her house will look like when she grows up. Maybe we never outgrow that as females. Always wanting to refine or enhance what we have in our homes. With a sigh, I know that all too soon I will be needing to redo Melanie's bedroom. So dream I do, of rope beds, black and maple furnishings or maybe buttermilk painted. Homespun looking curtains with inside shutters. Rich color woodwork, off white walls. A thick feather mattress. Quilts. Maybe an old child's rocker in a corner. I took out the plans we have for a hooded cradle, wondering if some winter soon there will be a wee one sleeping in it, warm by the fire, me gently rocking this wee one watching the baby's eyelashes grow as Finn spoke of in one of her comments on my blog.
So many dreams to dream each day.....

music... Martin Best Medieval Ensemble "Troubadour"
Tea..... the last of my Maple Tea from Melissa

Comments

Marci said…
Pat, maybe we are distantly related. My Dad's family also came on the Mayflower. In fact the first recorded sermon in the new world was by my ancestor on my birthday.
Patty said…
wouldn't that be fun !!!!
Anonymous said…
If a home has plenty of love and good values, it really doesn't matter if it's suitable for a magazine cover or not (although I confess to having those feelings too from time to time). Like you, I'm not willing to sacrifice the time with my children to go to work and buy new stuff.

Popular Posts