The Benefits of Simple Things

Due to excessive stress in my life a couple years ago from our youngest adopted son, I developed high blood pressure. I suppose having someone try to kill you a few times does something to you. Reluctantly I went on medications for my high blood pressure. It had always been low, and going on medication was like an insult to my whole being. I felt less than healthy. Hated the meds, made my muscles weak, slowed me down and after a while one of them gave me chest pains. Had everything all checked out and the old ticker was fine, like a teenagers they said. The cardiologist took lots of pictures after injecting me with some dye, and he showed me just how good it all looked.
I decided that if I changed what I ate, ran faithfully, practiced meditation and took some herbs, then I could turn things around and get off that nasty medication. I am not a fan of any pill that fixes one thing and breaks 4 so I wanted off that stuff. I am a master herbalist so you can understand that I wanted to do things the natural way.
Diet changes did something else. In the past two and a half months I have lost a whopping 19 lbs ! So here I am several months off the medication. Eating vegetarian except fish once in a blue moon. No preservatives, very little sugar, caffeine very limited, and as much organic as possible, hiking, walking and running. Meditating faithfully. Taking Twin Labs blood pressure control, eating Goji berries and blood pressure has been fantastic. Keeping things simple has always been a goal of mine but now I can see the real value of this life. The benefits health wise have been amazing. I have so much energy. Feel just about like I did at age 28 ish. No hot flashes either, ever.I took my blood pressure tonight after doing a bunch of stuff around the house. Busy work. Mopping the kitchen floor. My heart rate was up as its normally in the 50's. Tonight my BP was 122/75 , a bit high from what it has been running lately, but still it's not bad considering it was often 160/80 a couple years ago. Even on medication it was usually 135/80 so not bad. There are some real benefits to a simple life.

Comments

Marci said…
After reading 2 entries, I posted a comment on the other one that kind of covered both. I really love your pictures. Do you keep them all organized somehow?
Patty said…
I keep all my photos in a file with the month and year, when the month is done, I put them on a CD and keep them in an album. Since I take hundreds of pictures a month that works well for me. I would quikcly run out of space on the computer if I didn't save them that way. I write on the front of the CD what the major subjects are
QuiltingFitzy said…
I have had a horrible time getting any comments to show up on your blog. I thought maybe you had changed your preferences to disallow!

I have a question about how you might dehydrate apricots...should I cut them in 1/2? If I don't it could take a week, then there's always that pit, lol.

Keep reminding me to keep it simple, and consider yourself cyberly hugged!
Hi Patty
I just wanted to say hi. i am a steady reader but I don't always leave comments!
I am also from the northeast so I love it when you post about your history.
Leah Spencer said…
Oh yes, striving for a simple life sure does lower the blood pressure! In April 2005 I was 120/74. In March 2006 I measured at 104/66. Next goal is to lower my weight - so I congratulate you for your loss of 19 pounds!!!!!
Alena said…
Oh, Patty, congratulations on all your achievements, it is great that your blood preasure is back to normal without taking medicine... great...
and that weigh lost is amazing, I am also getting back to more normal size bit by bit and it makes me feel wonderful... just imagine, my mother lost 12 kg in past two and a half months, incredible!!! after all those years that she was overweight... now she set herself better eating habits and it works wonders...
It is good to hear that you feel so good...
Patty, I'm so glad for you! Thanks for sharing this story.

And cheers to healthy eating and lifstyle!
Anonymous said…
Congratulations on your weight loss and lower blood pressure! Both are impossible without some sort of change.

In a previous post you wondered about having so many read your blog but not that many posting comments. I think that your posts are written so well and in such wonderful detail that there sometimes just isn't anything else to add :-)

I read your blog every morning before I get breakfast organised for the family and it certainly perks up my day.
Genuine Lustre said…
Patty - Good for you. As a mother of 4,I can't imagine what sort of stress and broken dreams such a situation with your son must have put you under.
((Hugs!))

Popular Posts