Morning Garden Bliss




Grabbing my morning handful of Goji berries I headed out the back door. Greeted by a glorious blue sky, a breeze strong enough to hear it steadily blowing through the trees . The sun filtering through the leaves and casting lacy shadows on the green grass. The only word I could come up with to describe this morning to myself was Bliss. Not a word I use often, but today it fit. Goji berries down the hatch leaving my hands free to dig into the warm brown soil. We have about 12 inches of top soil in our garden. There by sheer hard work and lots of compost. We don't throw away any food scraps, we toss them into the compost pile, and what the chickens don't eat, turns to rich brown soil.
I am not afraid to get dirty. So I sat on the ground and set to work weeding the onions and the cantaloupe patch. For some time while I was doing this earth work my mind was going over what I saw in that movie last night on TV about the avian flu. Kinda scary stuff but still my thinking was all over the place this morning. From the "when your time is up" kind of thinking to the fact that we have grown into such an ugly people, maybe we need some thinning out. I saw the news after the movie and it was filled with violence and ugliness. On thing was the new rage among high schoolers. Fight parties where young people just go on a fighting rage and beat up anyone in their path. They phone each other and all meet someplace and then film all the people beating one another up and then sell it on DVD.
Maybe the wheel of karma has dealt the hand of fate or God's judgment has come. Or maybe its just a bunch of hype. Whatever this all is, it made me grateful for my simple life. It took way too long for me to dump the ugliness I had seen on TV last night.
So, I kept digging in the earth, pulling weeds and thinking. Quiet all around me. Just the breeze blowing my hair and the smell of onions strong as I pulled up the weeds around them. My knees were covered in dirt, my fingernails caked in dark brown earth. A bug bit on my leg, itching and hurting all at the same time. My hair hadn't been brushed. I suspect I looked a fright but all I could think about was the word Bliss and how it fit this moment in time. It was here only once, this moment, never to be had again, and never existed before. Had I decided to just stay in the house and sew I would have never experienced this deep level of pure contentment, filled with such profound beauty. My thoughts had ran their morning race and as I continued to work, they slowed to more organized and happy place. The stress of watching a movie about millions of people that would die and then the news, reviewed in my mind and now chased away, replaced by good wholesome thinking about the joy in my life. By the time I had played some with Fergus, took some pictures and headed in the house, I was convinced the TV is junk, and the news not very uplifting. Nothing I learned last night from the old squawk box did me an ounce of good. Maybe we will just give the old thing the heave hoe !
It had taken me too long to chase away its images this morning and took away my blissful feeling for a bit. Had to rehash everything to get it out of the way in order for me to feel that bliss that greeted me at the back door.

Comments

Finn said…
Hi Patty, I was so astonished to find I had arrived at your place before you this morning..LOL, so I came back later. Glad to hear you were putting that special time to such great use.
I truly miss my gardens that were part of my daily life when I owned the house. The memory lingers but time moves things along, and this is what I am doing now..*VBS* You know I couldn't even bring myself to watch that movie last night. With so much horror to choose from I choose NOT to watch it if I can help it. Seems I have enough nightmares from the things I don't see on purpose.
I think you life style is a blessing, as is the good health you work to maintain. There are so many things I admire about you.*VBS*, please know my hat if off to you, dirty fingernails and all..Hugs, Finn
Unknown said…
Patty, I couldn't have said it any better. Finn is so right. I came by earlier to visit also but you weren't around yet. Due to radiation my sleeping pattern is again changing...up earlier and sleeping earlier in the evenings. hugs Tina
Granny said…
Patty: I saw that movie last night too. Well, it was on while I was quilting so I can't saw I saw it all but I saw enough to make me wish I hadn't seen it. Not sure what I think about it all but I know I'd rather be living at your house than at my house if it all happens as shown in the movie. I didn't see the news about the fighting but that's crazy. I just don't understand how we, as a country, have turned into what I am seeing/hearing.

Judy L.

Popular Posts