Simple Things



Sometimes the things that bring us pleasure are not all that fancy or eye catching. Today when I was out rambling around the property, I noticed a little pear growing so perfectly. It struck me with its simple beauty. And then I saw all the little yellow flowers in my cantaloupe patch. So many more than just two days ago. I wondered if they would be little round balls when I get back from my trip. The combination of the brown dirt, the green leaves and the little yellow flowers just seemed perfect. Certainly they are not gorgeous like my roses or other flowers but they are still beautiful.
Played soccer with Fergus this morning and I guess he thinks its too hot, he kept putting the ball under a tree and then just standing there as if to say, " don't you get it, its too hot to run around." so after a bit I caught on and just stopped running and getting the ball from him. He's been laying on the back porch since I left him.
Brought in a couple loads of clothes from the lines. They were stiff and scratchy feeling. Dried fast in the sun with no wind to soften them. Guess the towels will be like some fancy body scrub that you pay for. Simple things I guess.
Need to vacuum and don't feel like it. Steven and Pricilla are coming for supper. Making haystacks, they are like taco salad things. Easy to make, no heating up the kitchen. Always worries me to have the oven on in the kitchen, the air conditioner in the dining room window and then the ceiling fan smack dab in the middle. Seems like perfect conditions for some sort of bad storm. So I avoid the oven in summer. Wisdom on my part : )
Just a day filled with simple things, ordinary things that have a rhythm all their own. At some point I need to iron some shirts for Emery. I don't mind doing that, its just today I seem to be lacking inertia. Once I get going its easy, its just the getting going. Moving around at a snails pace, looking at everything with open eyes and looking for some meaning in it. Not much meaning in ironing shirts though. I could go with the thinking that "work is love made visible" and feel lofty about the chore, but the reality is, it just seems like a chore, ordinary chore. Not bad, not good, rather someplace in the middle of dull.
Decided to get my hair cut tomorrow. Always worry they will butcher it. You know sometimes when you ask for a trim or just an inch off, you wonder what they think a CUT would be. I ask for half an inch off and that way I get a pretty reliable trim of about 2 inches off. One time I had Emery trim the ends off my then long hair. He sat me in the chair, got out the masking tape, taped my hair to my back measuring it every inch or so and maybe he even tried to use a level on my shoulders, can't remember that for sure. Well it turned out to be quite a production. Took about an hour but I had very straight ends and a bit of masking tape stuck to my dress. But bless him, it was a good trim and he took off one inch exactly.
Simple stuff, everyday stuff. But good.
Time to get to that ironing....


no music playing, the sound of the air conditioners is enough noise
water in my glass, ice all melted
Bare feet, shorts and a tee shirt for my attire
Grateful for..... simple things, even if they are not all exciting

Comments

Tracey said…
...and the simple things is what makes our day sing sometimes. :o) Sounds like a perfect day to me.
Finn said…
What lovely things you find to take pictures of Patty! I am always amazed to see what today's offering will be.
Life is filled with simple things that we either notice or don't. Personally I think we'd all be better off if we slowed down enough to watch a baby's eyelashes grow, as it slept cradled in our arms..*VBS*
Marci said…
Pat, we all need to get out of the rat race and slow down our pace. I am glad you are seeing the improvement. Good for you!!
Leslie said…
Think of ironing this way: It's the one sure place where you can smooth out the wrinkles in your life. :D

Popular Posts