Flashes of Light Across the Dark Sky

Just about time to get up this morning, storms rolled in. First a gentle rain fell, then in a style one would expect from Fred Astir in a movie, all dressed in white tie and tails, top hat being waved in a grandiose way , the wind came in and the trees all bowed. With a bit of a haughty attitude it seemed.
Lightening flashed for over two hours. White light would change the scenery for a flash in time. A second perhaps. For that tiny frame of time the world did look black and white. A moment come and gone in one single flash.
I sat in my office chair mesmerized. Thinking of all the ways nature relates to life. This flash of light, so much like the seconds in our life. There, done and never to be repeated the same way ever again.
A thing of beauty and power, much like love.
So much energy in each bolt, if only we could harness it, (sounds like a toddler !)
As the thunder grew closer and more often, it reminded me of some loud obnoxious person, repeatedly speaking about himself. Must have had that thought from experience with company Tuesday night. Or maybe it is like the voice of a boss, barking out orders left and right with no compassion to be found.
I fought the urge to go outside and sit in the rain to watch this storm, hail was expected and it wasn't a safe thing to do anyway. But the power of the storm held me captive.
For all the beauty of the storm, there was one aspect of the storm that troubled me deeply. Usually I love the smell of the wet ground from a rain storm, and my nose being so sensitive I can usually tell rain is coming long before it gets here. That damp earth smell being carried on the wind. But last night, there was an iron type smell with the storm. It smelled like blood. It frightened me, it was so strong and unusual. I so wished I could turn off my ability to smell at all. Where was the smell coming from I wondered ? Was it some sort of omen ? Was the earth telling me something that I really didn't want to know. It made me think of an old song by Joan Biaz, I don't even know the name of the song or more than it has words about blood being spilled on the earth, it was spoken words if I remember correctly, before the singing starts. It was a war protest song and not a comfortable one to listen to.
By sunlight, the storm had ended. I burned incense, 3 sticks at one time, to chase away the smell the storm had brought with it. The smell that came with the rain, left me with an ominous feeling as if I half expect to hear of some world catastrophe today.
I pray it is not so.

On to the mundane, food shopping day. Three stores at least. Health food stores and one market for veggies.

The picture has nothing to do with anything, other than I like it. Its those small glass pieces you find in craft stores. I just like how they look in black and white.




Comments

Granny said…
Patty:

Your blog entry is kinda strange because this morning when I awoke, I lay in bed wondering if today would bring bad news. Almost every morning, I hop up ready to face the day and a new quilting experience but this morning, I had a heavy feeling upon awakening and kept laying there halfway fearing what today would hold. Hadn't thought about it again til reading your post.

Judy L.
uhoava gnu said…
Hi again! It's so nice to come to check your blog, there's always a new post! I enjoy reading your thoughts on the issues that are part of life.
Jeanne said…
Hi Patty,

I'm a rain-smeller, too. Your descriptions today are so vivid!

I hope that you and Judy are wrong about foreshadowing. I'm lighting a candle here for that hope.

Jeanne
Unknown said…
Ms Patty, you describe the day so vividly(sp) that I can see and hear the storm with you. I am glad my sense of smell isn't as good thou. I hope your feeling of foreshadowing doesn't happen, but I know all over the world there is strife and war going on and that sense of forboding doesn't surprise me. Hugs Tina
ForestJane said…
Your post made me think of this song, One Tin Soldier". Is it the one you meant?

Now the valley cried with anger,
"Mount your horses! Draw your sword!"
And they killed the mountain-people,
So they won their just reward.

Now they stood beside the treasure,
On the mountain, dark and red.
Turned the stone and looked beneath it...
"Peace on Earth" was all it said.

Go ahead and hate your neighbor,
Go ahead and cheat a friend.
Do it in the name of Heaven,
You can justify it in the end.
There won't be any trumpets blowing
Come the judgement day,
On the bloody morning after....
One tin soldier rides away.

We used to sing it at summer camp (where I became forestjane). It's really not a bad ballad - We also sang things like Puff the Magic Dragon, etc. lol

Popular Posts