Children Are Amazing




When I was in my early 20's, I hiked in Vermont more than once. One place in particular that I fell in love with was Emerald Lake. It was a peaceful place and I camped there.
I have many slides of Emerald Lake taken way back in the early 1970's. At that point in my life, I was on a mission of sorts . A mission to find out what really mattered to me. And to find out where I needed to be in life. I believe we used the term, "to find yourself". It seemed to me that in the woods, apart from all the material distractions, it would be an easier task. That was some valid wisdom. It is easier to see yourself in solitude and quietude. At that point in my life I was pretty philosophical. Most of my friends and family seem to think, its always been the way I am and always will be that way. Its probably true.
My daughter Melissa now lives in Vermont and she went to Emerald Lake by herself. She took pictures for me and the most amazing thing to me was, that here she is just a bit older than me when I was there the last time and she took almost identical pictures. Stopped at the same spots and took the same views. The same little parts of nature caught her eye. The white bark of the birch tree, the water lilies, the way the lake looks through the trees.
It was the most profound gift to me, these pictures of hers. Her eyes saw the very same things I had seen over 30 years ago and took the very same pictures. She brought me a present from Emerald lake when she came to see me last time. A rock. A wonderful rock, just the kind I would have picked up.
All the spiritual instructions I gave her as a child combines with the dialogs we have now, show me she seeks the same kinds of answers to the same kinds of questions that I had and still have. She sees with the same interest and shares with me a vision for a better world.
We have often sat together into the wee hours of the morning, in my computer room, discussing world issues, life paths, religion, spiritual journeys and the like. I miss those talks now that she lives so far away. Its just not the same over the phone !
Her path, distinctly her own to be sure, but still her search for meaning in life much like mine. I wonder if there is any better gift in the world than this kind of mother daughter connection ?
Melissa, you make me proud.!

Comments

Unknown said…
There isn't my sweet friend and you are one very Blessed woman to have such a wonderful connection to your daughters and son...Luv and Hugs Tina

Popular Posts