Night Ramble

" Today we are afraid of simple words like goodness and mercy and kindness. We don't believe in the good old words because we don't believe in good old values anymore. And that's why the world is sick."
Lin Yutang

In case no one ever noticed, I love the writings of Lin Yutang. A wise soul this man was and an excellent writer. " A Leaf in A Storm" is the first book I read of his and it changed me in some way. I was young, maybe too young to read such a tale of war and life. But it opened my eyes to the undeniable ugliness of people wanting to crush another group of people and take their land and their way of life. One people taking another people over. Each one with the same blood coursing through their veins, all with the same hopes, loves and pain. Brothers in humanity.
I am no fan of war and find little reason for it. Funny thing is that as a Mennonite or Amish, saying you are against war is acceptable and no one thinks you are unpatriotic, just simply NON-resistant. Turn the other cheek type of mentality and that's ok.. But keep that same attitude, change the clothes, and suddenly you are practically a communist. Hard to understand what clothes and name of your religion has to do with that.
Anyway, this post is not going where I had intended it to go. Funny how that happens, but this blog is called morning ramble and ramble it does sometimes. Not always in the morning I might add.
I was thinking earlier that today my blog has had about 600 hits. Pretty normal numbers for me, but I only get a dribble of comments. Not sure what that means. I find myself wanting to measure the success of my blog by the comments made and that is silly. Human, yes, but still silly. The blog is really just my thoughts anyway, thrown out into cyberspace, for anyone to read. I would write them out for myself even if there was no blog. I never get the feel of if my blog is of value to anyone else. Well I do in a way, since people come back day after day to read it. I wonder if my goal should be to meet a need perhaps, or am I doing o.k. with no goals at all ?
Think bed is calling me as my thoughts are getting dull and slowly following some old trail that leads nowhere.

Bought new clothes tonight for traveling. Gifts from that kind man I love. Bohemian hippy style clothes. That's how I feel these days. Even been debating if I should grow my hair and have a long gray braid. Sort of the wise woman look. Can't decide. Anyway, back to the new clothes subject. Cotton White gauze skirt, long and full, with white embroidery. Shirt to match. All white, significant maybe...summer or seeking to appear as someone with an element of clear, pure enlightenment. That sounds impressive. Like the sound of that, but I suspect its more that its summer and white is cool. Need jewelry to go with it and can't decide on shoes. Sneakers will look daft with a long skirt and the hiking boots will make me look like Granny from the Beverly Hillbillies. Orange Crocks, will make my feet virtually glow in the dark. Have to work on the shoe thing.

Tonight's picture is tonight's sky. Love the cirrus clouds.
Music playing is Donovan's Greatest Hits
In my glass... iced water

Comments

La Tea Dah said…
Romika sandals. . .perfect for a hippy skirt and comfy too! The outfit sounds lovely! I vote for keeping the hair short yet, Patty! You've not had it short for long enough to time feel it's full effects. But whatever you decide, I'm sure it will be lovely.
SuBee said…
I read twice a day - you are part of my day! I'm just too shy to comment. I love your writings, you take me out of some ghastly phone conoference and back to where i want to be. TY!
BTW -- I vote for short; cooler, easier, sassier!

Su Bee
Pam said…
I feel the same way about comments. I think we all get lots of visits to our blogs but no comments.

Love the sound of the outfit and think it will be lovely and cool! Important in the heat of Texas! I am struggling with the same feelings with the hair. I've always had long hair and then last summer I cut it short and it just keeps getting shorter each time...now I'm wishing I had the long hair again so I can pull it back in a ponytail or braid...Oh well!

Love your writings here and hope you continue with it for a long time to come!

Grace & Peace
Pam
Leah Spencer said…
I think people post when there's something to praise/cheer for or when the blogger asks for advice.

Oftentimes Patty, your postings are about little things in your life, the insights you see. Neither of those really fit in the praise or advice... so it's more awkward to post a comment.

Another thing is that you come across as a pretty confident woman in your lifestyle, in what you do, in what you think. Your readers gain a lot from your blog, but probably don't have as much to share themselves.

Your writing style also doesn't invite debates and arguements - it's very calming and pleasent to read your postings. I stop by here 3 or 4 times a day easily. I've gained quite a bit of perspective of the simple life from you. I love you bread recipes - I want to try the one that has molassas and bacon fat in it. (Need to finish moving first). I would definately miss your blog if you went away for good!
Kelli said…
Patty, let me start with this. I LOVE YOUR BLOG! :0)

I'm not going to confess how many times a day I check in but its often! You have an amazing way with words and your posts have inspired me so much. I enjoy so much to hear about you, your family and your life.

Kelli
kelly said…
Me three. Keep up the good work, Patty. Regarding the hair, I've opted for long and grey, but it's not going grey fast enough to suit me, as I'm eventually hoping for an Emmylou Harris look. :-)
Melzie said…
I read your blog every day, sometimes more than once :) Its a peaceful oasis on my purely chaotic days. I love the bohemian style clothes too, very cool and flowing...but I have only shorts, tees jeans and capris LOL just what I find at Goodwill or yardsales! Keep up the blogging :) xoxo melzie
ForestJane said…
I like to read your blog too, usually every day or so, but I often only tend to comment on the people who leave ME comments... :)

Sometimes I follow the name link on people's comment back to their blog, and I've met some wonderful people that way, even adding them to my favorite blog list.

If I leave a comment 5 or so times, and never see them commenting on my stuff, I figure that comments must not be important to them, so I stop leaving them. I don't take the blogs off my favorite places, I just don't share feedback as often.

I do like it when I have made a comment, and the person uses my name in their blog the next time, answering the question, with a link back to me. It's fun when I know that other people are reading and looking at my pix, so in turn, I'm trying to give credit when someone has a quilt idea that I like or adapt for myself. All in the sharing of thoughts, I guess!
Finn said…
Really beautiful Texas sky picture Patty. I love that you thought to photograph it.
From suppertime til sundown is my favorite time of day. I like seeing the sun slide out of sight and the glow that follows. The deepening dusk and the beginnings of star light. Even the fireflies, adding their sparkle to the early evening.
I like porch swings, and soft breezes, and crickets chirping. The rumble of thunder off in the distance, and watching heat lightening on the horizon. I love the smell of the air as the dew settles. And the changing fragrance just as rain begins to fall.
I think maybe if people could just slow way down, and be quiet, they might begin to remember what they remember and remember loving..*VBS*

Popular Posts