Early Morning

It is nearly 5 am. Time to rise and shine for me. Its my quiet time. Time to sit and read for a bit, time to just listen to the early birds sing. I can hear the train whistle blow as it nears the crossing. The steady sound of the trains wheels as it rolls over the rails can be heard if you strain your ears.
Cars zooming places on the highway a mile or so away can be heard too. The sounds being carried in the morning air. It feels cool this morning and I find myself wishing my feet were covered in wool socks, but I feel too comfortable to get up and get them. And besides the brass handles on my dresser draws always make a noise that wakes Emery and he can use another hour of sleep. Fergus was barking non stop at the moon around 3 am and Emery got up and put him in the barn.
Today is all planned out. Cook breakfast, which will consist of some steaming oatmeal and a few fried eggs. Then time to head out to do my chores and spend some time weeding the garden after the sun is up. The earth smells so full of life in the early morning. Dew awakens the scent of the soil, making it cool and moist. Easier to pull weeds when the soil is damp and willing to let go of the roots. Sometimes I sit cross legged when I weed, as if I was a child digging in the dirt. Seems more fun that way.
Dishes will be done, laundry done and hung out in the morning sun, dancing like strangers without partners in the gentle breeze.
Floors swept and some waxed. Furniture dusted. A few special touches done since tonight Steven and Pricilla will be here for supper. I want things to look the way I feel about them being here. Anticipation and happiness.
Have been tossing around in my head what we will have to eat. Some days I am so tired of this eating healthy stuff. Just wish for some good old fashioned Amish cooking. Maybe today I can find some sort of compromise. Food is after all something that we find comfort and familiarity with.
Zippy Beef Casserole sounds good to me. No hamburger in the house but some veggie burger will work in its place.
Some sort of cake for dessert or maybe whoppie pies.
In the heat of the late afternoon I hope to get some sewing done, or at least some hand work. Lazy time, a cup of tea near my chair, more staring out the window than sewing perhaps.
Looking down the hallway and admiring the shine on the floors, thinking about fancy rose gardens or getting goats again. Wondering if I should let my hair grow long again or keep it short. Short seems so hard to manage to me. Long is easy, twist the sides and pull the back up in a bun. Looks like "Heidi's" grandmother but its what I am most comfortable with.
Ahh made me smile to write that, yes, Heidi would be about the right life, milking goats, making cheese, spinning wool, tramping across wild flower hillsides. Almost makes you want to break into song thinking about it....."the hills are alive".
Each day, defining oneself a bit more. Finding that comfortable spot in life much like when you lay your head on your pillow at night and sort of burrow in, nestling down.
Now, off the computer and start my days work. The steady hum of routine sounds good to me after so many days of running errands and being away from the house.

the picture.... looking down the hall towards the living room and front door

today, the music is.... hammered dulcimer, but can't remember the mans name who is playing it. Its an old tape, not even a CD.

Clothes of the day.... long, to my ankle denim skirt full and prairie looking, comfy shirt. Bare feet still, even though they are cold. Hair twisted and pulled up.
Shawl around my shoulders, gray wool and crocheted. The one the girls grab off the peg when they want to feel comfy. They say it always smells of my perfume. Like the odd piece of candy in my purse. You know the way an old lady's candy from her purse smells. Mint with perfume combined with a bit of leather purse smell.
Morning read...."Under the Lilacs" by Alcott. Must be at least the 10th time I have read it. Still love it, but not as much as "An Old Fashioned Girl".

Comments

Ramona-quilter said…
I so enjoyed your Early Morning blog. I felt like I was sitting on the porch enjoying a cup of tea with an old friend. And don't you just love how fresh sheets smell when they've dried on the clothes line.
Your blog took me back in time to a simpler life. Thank you for the trip.
Genuine Lustre said…
I think I would like to come for a vacation. It sounds so peaceful. I'm at the chaotic season of life with 4 children at home. Some day my house will be clean and quiet too, but I don't want to wish these years away.
Patty said…
we had busy times with 4 at home also and they were fun. We would all work together in the garden, singing and laughing. Now the house is busy with young adult happenings, like weddings. If you think its busy now, just wait !!!!
R. Aastrup said…
Oh, how I love an Old Fashioned Girl!!! I collected old Alcott books at one time...and my cats are actually named for Alcott (Louisa May) and her characters (Teddy from Little Women). Under the Lilacs is the book I've read the least, but it's still good. Once, several years ago, I had a "Little Women" party for my two nieces. They love her too. I went through a stage ( a long one) where I read "Rose In Bloom" every Christmas...

Popular Posts