A Scandinavian Frame of Mind


It started with a visit to the old Norwegian church, carried over to the Ikea store, last nights pea soup and now breakfast....all in a Scandinavian frame of mind. I just need to call Melissa today and have her speak some Swedish to me and the mood will be complete.
Here is my recipe for Swedish bread, passed on to me by my sister Jan...

SWEDISH BREAD

2 pkg yeast

1/2 cup warm water
1-1/2 cup lukewarm milk

1 tsp cardamon
1 cup sugar

4 eggs, beaten
1 tsp. salt

8 cups flour
1/2 cup melted butter

sprinkle yeast on warm water & let stand few mins. Stir to blend. Stir in milk, sugar, salt, cardamon, eggs & 2 cups flour. Beat smooth. Add 3 cups flour & beat smooth. Stir in melted butter. Add enough flour to make soft dough. Cover and let rest 15 mins. Turn on floured board & knead smooth. Put in greased bowl, turning once, and cover & raise till doubled (1 hr). Punch down and let raise till alm ost double (1/2 hr). Turn onto floured board and braid, etc. Bake at 375o for 20 to 25 mins.


Pero, muesli and some nuts for breakfast
It will be coffee and bread for lunch

Comments

Gullebarn said…
Wow you do have a lot of Berggren. We had the most darling little tea set that is doll size in our store -- it was in the same Var SÃ¥ God pattern that you have. What a cute thing that would be for Mei Ling to start a collection for her. Although I don't even know where to find one anymore.

Anyway, happy Swedish thoughts!

Ha det så bra!
La Tea Dah said…
So the china is Berggren? I don't know anything about it, but it's lovely. What I do know is this --- a month or so ago I purchased a mug in that pattern at Goodwill for 25 cents. I had no idea that it belonged to 'something' and wasn't just a random thing. I thought my DH would enjoy his morning tea out of it.

:) LaTeaDah
Patty said…
La Tea dah, Yup, its a great pattern and has all kinds of fun pieces available. I have to watch myself, its easy to buy whatever I see in that pattern : )
Patricia said…
Oh, how delicious this bread looks! The pattern on the little pot reminds me of the years in Europe... sigh.
Patricia

Popular Posts