The Joy of Simple


This morning I was keenly reminded how much I love things to be simple and not full of complications. Simple lines of an old black walnut tree nestled up against the wood shop. The simple beauty of leaves yellow with the kiss of autumn, laying on the still green grass. The walk around the park with Melanie, Mei-Ling in her stroller, watching the breeze blow the trees. Gathering pine cones with Melanie as we walked, planning Christmas crafts as we walked. Simple things. Swinging on the swings in the park, laughing like children.
At home the scent of apple cinnamon candles, soft rocky mountain hymns playing. Windows open, sunshine streaming in and making the dark wooden floors glow with golden sunshine.
A phone call, Emery just wanted to tell me he loves me and is anxious to be home with me.
There is joy in the simple, in the simple truth that it is good to be alive, to be healthy, strong and blessed with abundant energy to do what I want. To play in the park, to bake bread, to stack fire wood and trim the trees. I am filled with the simple joy of planting our garden, knowing it will burst forth with good things to eat once again this year before the cold. Dirty hands, dirty feet with rich brown soil crusted onto the hem of my skirt.
There is simple joy in gathering pecans up in my skirt and try a few while I wander around.
The joy of simple, is so real to me today....the wind stirs the trees and with it comes the scent of burning leaves or maybe its someones fireplace. Which ever, it smells wonderful. A simple joy.
Licorice soda was a simple joy today. Black liquid, turning my tongue and lips a deadly shade, but oh it was good. New things, old things, simple things...and things of love. Calls from my children, so peppy and happy. Simple joys. Life is filled with the "joy of simple".

Comments

nancyr said…
Love the candy corn and pumpkin candy in the bottle. so simple, yet so inviting. I's pass on the licorace soda, however. Not a big licorace fan, but my husband is.
If you come up with some Christmas crafts, using pine cones, it would be wonderful if you would share them.
I have been making angles, using long, thin pine or spruce cones, acorns for the heads, and dried milk week pods for the wings. A section of pipe cleaner is used for the arms, and the "arms" hold a wood golf tee for a "trumpet". The whole thing gets sprayed gold.
They make pretty ornaments, or something extra to top a christmas package.
Could sure use some other ideas, though.
Sounds like you and "your girls" had a wonderful day.
Blessings.
nancyr said…
I really can spell, I just can't type!
Substitute, I'd pass on the licorace, and milk weed pods!
Cathy said…
Ahh...what a life! I really enjoy your vivid descriptions. I almost feel as if I'm right there. You are blessed indeed.
Catherine
Lib said…
It diesn't get better than The Simple Side of life huh?:o)
Blessins',
Lib
Mimi said…
I love licorice but I've never heard of licorice soda...
I love your description of your simple days... so peaceful and full of love..
Have a blessed day!!
ann said…
Your posts are always such a blessing to me. Contentment is a wonderful thing!

Popular Posts