No Matter How Hard I Want It, Fall weather is not arriving



Summer weather continues to drag on... this afternoon warmed up and chased away any hope of a cooler day. As if to force autumns cooler weather, I spent the afternoon putting bits of plastic fall here and there. Some of my decorations are natural and real, but not as many as are the pretend things...fake leaves, fake pumpkins, fake berries and the like. It fits really to have the pretend things since I am at this point just pretending it feels like fall time by having the air conditioner blow coolness on me. If you love winter like I do, summer can make you feel weary and yet at the same time anxious to feel the slightest change in the air.
We are doing fall time chores no matter that it still feels like August. Emery had been puttering around the place much of the weekend, taking inventory of the jobs yet to be done before the winds of change do indeed arrive. The squirrels have not put on thick furry tails, their normal summer tails have remained. I miss having our horse... that animal was the most reliable forecaster of what kind of winter we were to have. His coat told us all we ever needed to know about what to expect for the coming winter months.
We had the television on last night for a moment that is, nothing pleasant. The ads for upcoming shows were filled with angry people or unhappy people or violence. We decided its time to put the thing away for ever. We will relegate the squawk box to a far off room to be used in tornado season for storm information. But honestly we felt there just is not enough worth while on the thing. We lived for years without one and did just fine, better actually.
I have no problem with people who love their televisions and find it to be good company, its just not for me. Yes, there is cable with cooking shows etc but we don't have cable, don't want cable.
I don't want one more thief of my time lurking around here, the computer has managed to steal enough of my time !
Off to make an apple pie for dessert, or maybe make it our evening meal. Why not, its fruit, and dairy, that sounds healthy enough and bedsides its just plain good tasting.

Comments

Sunny said…
OK, I'll try to send some of our cool air your way.
Gullebarn said…
Our Norwegian Fjord horses are getting a really thick coat already. So at least in South Dakota we may have a winter this year. I hope so, we have been so horribly dry.

Oh yeah, the TV thing. I am so mad at TV. We try and watch dancing with the stars with our kids and have to watch the commercials for the gross shows like the bachelor, and desperate housewives with mostly naked women and raunchy scenes. It makes me furious. I stick to Netflix and order the TV series once they are over for us to watch without commercials, like Dr. Quinn, or LHOP -- stuff like that.
Saija said…
i agree, it is difficult to find something worthwhile on tv ... there is so much vieing for our time, isn't there ...

i love your decorations - it looks really lovely!

and i noticed that we are the same age ... :o) ... young chicks, aren't we!

blessings on you!
Mimi said…
my husband leave our TV on the fox news channel almost all evening... so I know all the news good or bad (mostly bad)
as far as the cold weather goes... we very seldom have any... a heavy sweater is about as cold as it gets!!!
I would love to be having some of your beautiful foliage!!!
Teresa said…
On the apple pie for a meal...two things.
(A) according to the site you linked for the RealAge test, eating sweets AFTER a meal causes your body to store more of it as fat (insulin reaction and such) so that means EAT DESERT FIRST! Right?
(B) when my favorite uncle was dying of lung cancer, he told my daughter that the secret to life was to always EAT DESERT FIRST and then if you were still hungry, eat your veggies. He was joking, but at the same time, he really meant it...that if he had life to live all over again with his knowledge, he'd have not denied himself the sweet things.
So, I hope you ate that apple pie for supper! I think it makes perfect sense.
Patty said…
makes perfect sense to eat dessert first, especially fruit ones, since fruit takes only a short time to go through the system. I like your reasoning and your uncles too. We ate pie !
Joni said…
Hi Patty! It was 32 degrees F here this morning. A big cool down from the last two days, maybe this will cold front will hit you soon. I love the colors on your blog!
nancyr said…
It is 34 where I live, but should reach 70 this afternoon. It 's a bit nippy in the house though.
Love those pictures, especially the one of the dining room. We have the same high chair for our grandkids! I got it for ten dollars at a church sale. The tray was a mess, but DH refinished it and it is beautiful. No vinyl and chrome high chairs here.
Grancy
2 LMZ FARMS said…
I know exactly what you mean about wanting fall temps and still having summer temps. Has been in the 90's here. Hope you and yours have a blessed evening.
Laura

Popular Posts